1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington to build a new 1911

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yesterday I had a preproduction Remington 1911 in my hands. It was sent out to a buddy for evaluation along with a lot of ammo. There was nothing special about it, but it was made well and shot very respectable groups (2"-2.5" from rest @ 15 yards with ball ammo) and would shrink those groups a little with premium ammo.

The gun didn't rattle when shook (empty) and the grips were very deeply checkered. The gun showed to be a nice platform for further upgrades, or just an excellant carry gun. It fed everything that we put through it without any FTF's (failure to feeds), but it really like Gold Dot ammo.

Sorry, no pictures as I was asked not to photograph the gun. If Remington can bring this thing to market for $600 or less (market price not retail) they'll have a winner on their hands.

ss

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The ONLY way they can bring a $600 1911 in the market is to make it in South America.. or China.. We already have that... Now what?????

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is from 1911 Forum.com last Dec.:

I just got back from a Remington 870 armorer's course yesterday and I talked to the rep a little about the new 1911. The project is still on track but he didn't know the time-frame to market. Supposedly they will first build 100 guns for factory testing and go from there.

It will have an internal extractor and no internal firing pin safety. It will be made in America, with Remington-made slides, frames, and barrels. They might out-source some of the smaller parts and it could have some smaller MIM parts. The price point will be in the $700 range.

Sorry, I wish I had more details but that's all he knew (or could say) about the project.

PBB could be right, out-sourced and MIM parts. More junk. Wayne

4. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

blue or stainless or both?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Do this gun have a loaded chamber indicator and other crap to satisfy the Commiefornia market? Or are they only going to make it for the free states?

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Sig had the right idea.. They had Caspian and EGW make quality parts for their Sig 1911.. Quality was fantastic.. made a great name.. then did it on their own after finding out what the market is.. STI make a quality 1911 here in America.. but for their economy version.. parts are outsourced.. Not the same.. For just a shooter..it doesn't much matter...but for a GREAT shooter..as any gunsmith will tell you.. 60 to 100 hours LABOR..to get everything exactly correct.. Now.. a huge pile of parts to swap around would cut that down considerable.. Maybe to even the 15/20 hour range.. BUT..you still need a team to sort and mike each and every part..and mark them so you know what to grab..

To get a 3" group could be done for $600.00 but a 2" group.. add $1000 for a 1" group.. and another $1000... There is nothing you can do for a cast barrel..or one with an improperly filled lug to get you to the ultimate pistol.. A Schuemann barrel is a great place to start.. That's $300..in one part.. The Cylinder and slide shop trigger/hammer/disconnector is another $150.00 after the discount.. That's $450..with no frame/slide.. or other parts.. It adds up quickly..

To build a quality 1911 is in the area of $900 in parts plus someones labor.. If you figure bulk buying.. that might be $600 to a big dog.. but you still have this thing called labor and profit to add into the equasion..

To talk in shotgun terms.. A Huglu does the same thing as a Perazzi/Krieghoff/Kolar.. quality and longevity is a different issue..

With a 1911.. the hardness of the frame/slide combo is a huge factor of how well it will stand up in the long haul.. Many outsourced frames/slides are just to soft to live.. Even the sears..(the life of a good trigger)..if it wears in a few thousand rounds..and needs replacing.. what good is it????

IMHO.. one would do better buying a good used Colt.. series 70.. and rebuilding it.. rather than getting questionable parts..

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

MIM? Wazzat?

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Rem has some guns being made in Russia. The 1911 maybe one of them.

9. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

mrskeet410 MIM=Made in Mexico

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    i like the 1911, but it just amazes me that it has such a following when it requires thousands to rebuild it into something accurate.

How about a modernized 1911 that's accurate for the masses?

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned

MIM.....GOOGLE

GOOGLE + MIM = METAL INJECTION MOULDING

Moulding intricate shapes from metal that is injected while molten into a mold.....just like plastic.

You car has many plastic and metal injection molded parts.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Just reasonably accurate.. good for 95% of the shooters can be had in the $1000 range.. but for those that can tell the difference..the last inch is expensive.. I'd venture a guess that 80% of the 1911's sold today never see 10,000 rounds in their life.. and shot by shooters that IF they could keep 5 shots in a 10" circle at 35 feet would be suprizingly happy..

I'd also venture a guess here that the shooters here would demand at least 3" groups at 25 yards..to be marginally acceptable.. Most of your out of the box anythings.. except revolvers would fight to qualify for that.. They ALL take some tuning..

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

that's pretty funny. they just recently introduced their version of an ar15. at last count, theirs became the 31st different manufacturer for the ar. i don't know how many 1911 manufacturers there are, probably 50 or more, and they want to compete in that fray? good luck to them. but i think i see a remington trend afoot: i'll bet you it will be offered in the good ol' remington green, deep woods camouflage! that's gonna' be their marketing gimmick. wanna' bet? turkey hunters totin' 1911's in the woods! good luck with it

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You can save money buy buying a tricked out target shooter out right.
    Its my understanding that a fitted frame,barrel, barrel bushing adds alot to accuracy.
    The 1911 is like many guns that came about through military needs.
    Reliable,powerful,easy to maintain and hit a man sized target 0-15yards

I have the S&W performance center 1911, I am not a skilled shooter. This gun compared to my off the shelf S&W 1911 gets me into the 4" groups @ 25 yards shooting with 2 hands with practice I think I could get it into 3" or less ???

AR 15s are the same way.

For me to have remington come out on top would be to have a quality item that they can proove is better than the sub 600.00 opptions out there.
    My friend has a norinco china made 1911 that has had nothing done to it
    feeds and fires.....round count? ammo used UMC bulk pacs and wolf. he is tickled if he can keep his groups on the pie plate.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Norinco 1911.. has been the platform for more than 1 nice shooting gun.. you throw away the barrel.. hammer.. sear.. disconnector and trigger.. rebuild and fit with new bull barrel..and C&S parts.. Excellent.. Nice hard steel.. good specs.. just crappy small parts.. but.. you're still in for the cost of the gun.. plus $450 in parts.. and 30/40 hours labor..

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well now.. Gold Cup.. series 80.. stainless.. unfired.????? How do you know it shoots???

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Gold Cups are typically not very good. Good Luck.

I have one Clark left. Ransom rest tested under 3" at 50 yards. I'll stay with that.

Don Verna

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Let's see. Another 1911. Can anyone guess how many firms/small manufacturers/specialty shops are making 1911s?

Colt, Wesson, Sig, Kimber, Springfield, Baer, Wilson, Rock Island, and that is just the start. Not against free enterprise and also a big fan of the platform, but what are they thinking? Is the market still that big?

Springfields are made in Brazil, Rock Islands in the Phillipines, some others also overseas.

Curious.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stan.. There is a SAVAGE 1911 slide on GB.Com now.. Rare bird.. looks in pretty good shape..

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I had no idea there were that many companies making 1911s and ARs. Typically in a market like that you have two types of companies thriving, those that make a good product cheaper than the rest, and those that make a product clearly perceived by the market as a superior product. Both can thrive at the same time, but their prices will be different, as will their customers.

How will Remington do either of those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.