1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington TGT-12 Wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skip, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Anyone loading STS shells with 1-1/8 ounce shot using the Remington TGT-12 Wad?

I’ve always used the TGT-12 for one ounce loads with good results. The wad is supposed to work with either 1-1/8 ounce or one ounce loads.

Anyone ever pattern the TGT-12 wad using 1-1/8 ounces of shot in the STS shell.

I didn’t see any loads for 1-1/8 ounces with the TGT-12 wads on the Alliant web site using Red Dot Powder.

Thanks in advance

2. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Thinkin' you'll be ahead of the curve if you just buy the RXP12's for 1-1/8 loads.

3. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Skip,

My loads are closer to 1 1/16 than 1 1/8. I use 17 grs of 700X. I arrived at the smaller payload by the way my loaded shells looked. I load on a Dillon so it was easy to adjust the shot to what worked best. I have loaded 1 1/8 on my P&W with the same 17 grs of 700X and they worked fine. The Dillon liked the smaller payload and that is what I load on mostly.

Ed

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Skip,

I've loaded a lot of Remington hulls using the TGT-12 wad and 1 1/8oz of shot. I use Titegroup powder to duplicate the Nitro 27 handicap shells. My reloads hit 'em as hard as the factory shells.

I only use two wads for my 'caps loads. I use the TGT-12 (or the Downrange copy) and the Downrange Versalite. I have to use bulkier powders with the Versalite.

Both wads perform better than I do!

ss

5. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the info guy's

I ran out of RXP wads a few weeks back so without changing any settings on my P/W I tried the TGT-12 wad which I have lots of and the shells came out looking like factory crimps. No adjustments necessary. I thought for sure the top of the shell would be crowned up from the extra 1/8 oz of shot.

Also I couldn't find any receipes on the Allient site using Red Dot, TGT-12 wads with 1-1/8 oz shot,anyone have an opinion if this receipe would be cause for dangerous pressure levels?

What do you think if anything would happen to the shot pattern if one was to cut away all of the wad petals from a wad?

Was there any change to shot patterns from the time when reloads didn't use a wad with petals to when they started to use plastic wads with petals?

Thanks

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Uuhmm, why don't you just use the appropriate 1 1/8 wad, that is, the Rem (or clone) Figure 8...it's made for that shot charge.

Just a suggestion to simplify life a little more.

Larry

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Skip,

According to the good people at Hodgdon, The figure8 and TGT-12 can be interchanged without any adverse pressure issues. The only difference is the height. I've weighed them both and the difference in negligible.

ss

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The only difference between the TGT-12 and the F-8 wad is the height of the cushion section. The shot cups are the same size.

Remington uses the TGT-12 wad for their 1 1/8 handicap loads because the powder they use in handicap shells is too bulky to fit in the hull with an F-8 wad.

MK

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

ShortShucker has it right. With ball powder like Tightgroup the TGT works best. With bulky powers like red dot or clays use Fig8.

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What Unknown1 said is correct...cut one open yourself.

Use which ever one fits your shell correctly based on type and amount of powder you use.

11. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Shortshucker

How many grains of Tightgroup are you using. Thanks.

Vince McNamara

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

mark425 no hes not! shortshucker is!!!! i love that TGT wad I use it in 1oz and 1 1/8

13. FLIP

FLIP Member

i use 17gr nice load!!

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

16.3/.4 grs. Tight Group works for me!!

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use 17.1 grains for a 1200fps shell and 18.0 grains for a 1235fps (reproduce the Nitro 27 shell). I even back it down to 16.4 grains and throw an oz of 8's ontop for a great singles shell. Mind you, this is all in a Remington hull and primer.

ss

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

C@#$%P...you are right Flip. I need to go back to school and learn to read the whole thing before I answer. Flip had it 1/2 right. The difference is the cushion height...BUT...has the bulky/ball powder backwards.

Anywho... like I said. Pick the Fig-8 or Tgt-12 based on fit, depending on the type/quanity of powder you use. I use the Fig-8 with Clays and the Tgt-12 with Titegroup. Works for me.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right...too much multi-tasking. Was thinking about my own bulky powder problem at the time.

The powder in the Remington big bullets is fine grained and the taller crush section helps the wad reach the bottom of the hull.

Sorry for the screw-up.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between aa12sl and rem tgt12 wads
figar 12 tgt shooting

rem tgt 12

remington tgt 12

remington tgt 12 wads

remington tgt 12s wad loading data

remington tgt12 wads