1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remington Target Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by notquite27, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I have seen numerous postings on this and other websites indicating that Remington is exiting the shotshell target load and component business by the end of 2012. It wouldn't surprise me, as a conglomerate run by bean counters is now running the show. No rebates in 2012, high component prices, etc.

I just need to know whether I should start to hoard those great STS and Nitro Gold cases in anticipation of their demise. A couple more shotgun debacles like the 105 and the Magnus autoloader with the total product line recall, and they can just hand the keys over tho the Beretta Group.

To think what this formerly great company once was truly makes a gun lover ill!
  2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Start hoarding. Was also told after the last ammunition run they will release to suppliers whatever wads and what have you are left.
  3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Remington ammo is not going to disappear. The brand name is too valuable. Not along ago the ammo division was a lot more profitable than the gun division. It probably still is.

Remington has a terrible balance sheet. They need to get rid of debt. What you may see is the company split into a stand alone gun company and a stand alone ammo company. Or you may see one of those sold/merged into another company, possibly within the Freedom Group. There will probably still be Remington ammo in the same way as there are still "Winchester" Model 70s. With any move like that Remington or the other organization will not want a bunch of existing inventory. Remember when Federal cleared out inventory right before the were acquired (by Blount?)? Bean counters worry about those things.

Or maybe none of the above..
  4. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE Member

Do they sell Remington Target ammo at that all white gun club ?
  5. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Is it possible that Remington is re-tooling to a new generation of hull?

If you look back @ Remingtons history, about every 10-15 years they've retooled to a new generation, from RXP to Premier to STS. Assuming that cycle holds true, they're right in that time frame to switch again (fingers crossed to an AAHS style hull for the 28 & 410).
  6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

Ts.com rumor- Remington will purchase green and gold blank hulls from Winchester and just roll stamp them.
  7. Landshark

Landshark Member

I'm having nine kinds of hell finding RXP-20 wads from my suppliers. I have several customers (and myself) that load them. They STS 28 ga loaded ammo is scarce as hen's teeth righ now.
  8. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

I wouldn't bet on anything positive happening soon. Remember, a number of years ago Remington was bought by a capital investment group that also bought Marlin and Chrysler.I didn't search the web to find out the groups name but starts Cer+
  9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Listen to the 'dawg! It's time to make the switch to everything other than Remington-if you can get it!!
  10. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

Cerebus group is the company that owns Remington I believe. Dan Quale is vp I think or was .
  11. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

Skeet Man ... you forget about the Blue Magic shells?

After the RXPs they went to the Blue Magics ... worst shells Remington ever made!

Then came the Premiers, then the STS/Nitros.
  12. XP100

XP100 Active Member

Cerberus Holding Co. is now Freedom Group. They own Remington, New England Arms, H&R, Marlin, DPMS, Bushmaster, a bullet company and I think Dakota Arms. Price of Rem 209's is sky high and most wads are very scarce.
  13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ahab - You forgot the Blue Magic look-a-like Peters Target Load "Improved With New Hotter Primer" that came between the Blue Magics and the Premiers.
  14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I got a promotional email from Remington this morning. They have plenty of wristwatches for sale.

http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/s?searchKeywords=luminox&Action=submit
  15. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Peters Target Loads are selling again. I just picked up two flats. They look like blue STS shells. They even brought back the 1970s/80s style Peters box - the tan background one they used after the Blue Magics and before the green Premiers.

Remington has NOT retooled every 15 years for a new shell. RXP came out in the early 70s, Blue Magic around 1977 - 1981, Peters Target Loads (Blue Magic hulls with "hotter" 209 primer from about 1982 to 1985, Premier from about 1985 - to 1994 STS first appeared around 1994 and the Nitro 27s a year later.
    STS/Nitro 27 has been the longest running target load going.

I wouldn't believe the internet rumors. STS loads and Remington components are the only thing keeping them afloat.
  16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

If anything they may be more focused on the AR market. I see "R-15s" everywhere gun shop I visit. They might be scaling back on the clay target stuff - it's not their main focus.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.