1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington taking money to stay put ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-GUNS, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

A co worker just informed me that in this time of gun makers leaving states who are unfriendly to them,Remington was given a large grant to stay put.

I have not confirmed this and this little info I have, well...its all I have.

Can anyone add to this, confirm or deny it ?

2. alf174

alf174 Member

try this

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Sorry, did not know of the other thread about this, my mistake.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Remington has been making sniper rifles for the military for decades.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Let's see: $80 million for 5,000 sniper rifles? That's only $16,000 per gun....

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What a bargain.

7. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The government is a smart shopper. LOL.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Not to say there isn't gov't waste, but any time you make something for gov't use, it has to meet a specification. That means you have to build your parts in a way that ensures they meet ALL of the requirements in that spec. A rifle that would go out for sale on the commercial market may not meet a certain spec that guarentees the performance, or interchangeability with other rifle parts.

We see a huge difference in price between a "normal" rifle or pistol and a "match" quality rifle or pistol. Mil-spec parts fall into another category due to specs that don't exist elsewhere.

I don't know whether those are the real reasons why those rifles are more expensive, I am just throwing out some examples.

-Aaron

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

People always used to make fun of the government buying $500 pliers or $1000 toilet seats. After working for them, I am pretty sure you could not make a set of pliers for $500 that met their specifications. The design requirements would be exact measurements, along with the exact type of material and finish. You would then have to make some for inspection before they ever actually build any. It is really stupid that you could probably buy the same thing at the local hardware store but the government in a lot of cases is buying a custom holding devise. Same way with guns. Office supplies were about the only thing that you could buy from a store.

10. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I used to haul sand for the golf course at the air force base in new Mexico. The people who had it contracted would have me pick it up at the sand pit. They would have to make me a new bill of lading changeing it from regular sand to #2 bunker sand. Lol

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

...which is why they were on the approved vendor list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.