1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington STS powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mr.mark, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

It has been discussed before but I haven't seen where anyone actually got to the bottom of the argument.....

What powder does Remington use in the STS shells?

I cut open a Light Handicap, 3 dram 1 1/8 shell and the powder "looks" just like green dot, it even has green flakes in it.

But the powder weighed out at 18.1 grains....

The alliant manual shows 21 grains of "green dot" for a 1200 fps 1 1/8 shell with remington components.

This happens to be the shell I shoot for practice and it shoots much like the factory loads.

Does anyone know what the powder is that Remington uses?

Where can you get the same stuff they use?

I have basically duplicated this load except the powder and am just trying to tie up all the loose ends.

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Mark

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some answers:

Remington uses powder not aailable on the consumer market.

You can get it if you are in the factory with a scoop and a pail. But it will not burn like powder you purchase.

The shell makers adjust their machinery for the burn rate of the powder they purchase, for that particular lot. You, on the other hand, are dependent on the published specifications of the powder you use.

The powder YOU purchase has to be very tightly sorted for burn rate. Every lot of Green Dot made has to be the same burn rate. Since the burn rate is controlled by the amount of retardant coatiing, and varies, some batches can't be used in consumer stuff. I believe after tasting, the identifier flakes are put in.

I would suggest you run a few factory shells over a chronograph, and adjust your loads to match the factory shells. Then go shooting.

HM

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Alliant posted at shotgunworld.com stating that to replicate the STS 2 3/4 dram and 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads, use Remington components (Hull, Primer, white Fig 8 wad, shot) with the appropriate amount of e3 or Red Dot. What Alliant sells Remington is not available to us, but is in between those two powders in burn speed.

~Michael

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland has a lot of inside information with regard to Alliant powder and has said that Alliant sells Remington, as well as many other ammunition manufacturers, their powders. But they are not "cannister grade" powders - that is, they do not have a consistent burn rate from lot to lot, something that powder sold in cannisters (small containers) must possess.

Powder that winds up outside the burn rate parameters for that powder is packaged in bulk and sold to the ammunition companies, where it is loaded and test-fired to find the charge weight that yields the desired performance qualities. If that powder you looked at is in fact Green Dot, and it likely is, the charge weight suggests it is from a batch that had a burn rate way too fast for cannister grade Green Dot.

Therefore, it is highly improbable that you can exactly duplicate a factory load because, as Michael said, the powder used in them is not available to us.

Ed

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto HM, ED, and Pat in abstencia....Bob Dodd

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is slow burning Red Dot equal to Green Dot and fast burning Green Dot equal to Red Dot? HMB

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If it's slow burning, it's not Red Dot, and if it's fast burning it's not Green Dot.

Geeeeez!.......LOL

HM

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

Geeeez!......LOL. HMB

9. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks for the info guys.....

I had been loading red dot up to 1200 fps in these shells and recently switched to green dot after reading numerous threads on here from in the past.

I like the green dot better for the 3 dram shells.

Mr. Mark

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

We get the best powders from the manufacturers. Lots that do not come up to cannister specifications are sold to shell manufacturers and they adjust powder drops to compensate for the differences. Powder manufacturing is not an exact science. When you start a process with ground up trees, the product can vary.

Pat Ireland

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, Do oak trees make better powder than say maple trees?

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Maple makes sweeter tasting powders!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington sts powder

remington sts powder type
sts remington shells where to buy
what does remington sts use for powder
what powder do they use in factory shotshells
what powder does remington use