1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington STS light target loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nascarfan888, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

I just bought a case of Remington STS light target loads 12GA 23/4dram and 11/8 oz 1145fps. Are these the same shells as like remington gun clubs recoil wise? Also how many reloads can you get out of the sts shells? thanks John

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

You should be able to get 6-10 reloads out of them.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, If the gun clubs are the same speed and shot weight, Yes the recoil is the same. I'd say 8 loads are no problem. Some will try for more while others will toss after 5-6. Its up to you how long you want to keep loading them. After 8 loads or so, you have to start really watching the hulls and double finish crimp or look at all hulls before loading to toss out a few. Its up to you and the pressures you load at. If you keep your loads in the 8500 psi to 9000 psi range you'll get more loads out of a hull than if all your loads are above 9500 psi. If you go to low in pressure you'll get unburnt powder (dirty) and/or funny sounding shells. Have fun finding your load. Break-em all Jeff

4. leadvail

leadvail Member

Really? More reloads at under 9500 psi. Is this documented or even mentioned in a manual and I missed it in 40 years of reloading?

I have noticed though that using Clays/ American Select that the hulls stay cleaner and don't get the charcoal ends on them after 4-5 loads as with the so called newly re- introduced cleaner powders that were devolped in the last century and that they seem to last longer now.

Bob

5. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

last weekend I shot this guys shells and he said they were the light recoil STS and I was thinking they were the same thing not sure though. Also do any of you guys no the mix remington use for the light recoil shells thanks for the posts

John

6. Pull & Mark

John, You can't buy the same powder Rem. uses for their STS loads. You can buy Winchester super target to do it with the Win. shells though. Most shooters seem to use Red Dot, Clay Dot, Clays, 700X for their go to powders in a l l/8 oz. load at 1145 pfs. Any one of these will work fine for you. Finding the powder you like and tring different loads until you find one that you really like is all part of reloading!!! Have fun and Break-em all. Jeff

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

There is an STS LR (Light Recoil) index STS12LR8 which has 1 1/8 oz #8 @1100 fps and a STS Light Target index STS12L8 which is 1 1/8oz #8 @ 1145.

There is also a STS Managed Recoil index RLSTS1285 which is 7/8oz #8 1/2 @ 1100.

--- Chip King ---

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the LR8 shells are available on Gunbroker but Remington doesn't list any of them on their web site.

MK

9. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I reload federal shells and their cheepies, but I have always wondered if on all plastic premium hulls is there any proof that the balistics change (slow down) as the inside of the hulls burn rough from multible reloadings ? I`m aware a person can over think the little details,but could there be more than a little less fps on shells shot at 27 yd targets ?..Perhaps Neil would know..KS-OKIE.

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Remington STS Managed recoil at link. Click "Specifications" tab.

Full addy won't fit. Cut-and-paste this:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/target-loads/managed-recoil-sts-target-loads.aspx

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"...Remington STS Managed recoil at link. Click "Specifications" tab."</blockquote>The link is for MANAGED Recoil loads. Read carefully, please. Chip King also refers to a LIGHT Recoil load with a different part number. THOSE are the ones I said I couldn't find on the Remington web site.

MK

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

MK I can't seem to get the website open right now but if you go to the Remington website then STS target ammo page and click on the specifications tab all the various types will be listed going down the list the STS12LR8 is the second one above the STS12L8.

--- Chip King ---

13. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Try 16.5 of e3 powder...with 1 oz was and 1 oz of 8's or 7.5....leaves the gun clean..nice load not too heavy on the shoulder...w/remington primer of course..

Dave

14. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I bought a box of 20ga low recoil loads for my kid to shoot. Knocked her silly. I tried one and thought it kicked more not less. They had been on the shelf for awhile.7/8 oz of 8's @ 1120fps. I started loading 3/4oz of 8's @ 1080 using Int'l Clays and she can shoot all day.

15. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Thanks guys do you know what makes the manged recoil lower? are the shells still 11/8 oz or are they 1oz shells

John Spicer

16. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Deleted by a Moderator.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Royce.Leave that slur/agitation up if you like. But not recommended

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

nascarfan888 PLEASE read my first post your answer is right there.

--- Chip King ---

19. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Okay thanks chip will you be shooting in winchester this weekend? I'm the kid you showed me how to use the ear plungs at pidmount haha.

John

20. Pull & Mark

Hey John Welcome to TS.com. Who may I ask is car #888. I thought they all have two digit numbers not 3 digit. My fav. ole drive was #43 but he don't race anymore. You can still see him from time to time though. Most can remember his name!!! Can you remember the brand of car he always drove??? All lefts. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
light recoil trap shooting
psi of reminston sts light target loads

remington premier sts light target

remington premier sts light target load
remington premier sts light target loads
remington sts light target
sts rem trap loads