1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Sportsman 58

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter870, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

My son inherited a model 58 Sportsman in beautiful condition, but we're having trouble getting it to cycle with dove loads...1 1/8 ounce 1200 fps stuff. I've stripped it and detail cleaned it, made sure there's no oil in areas that should have no oil, and checked the gas ports, but it still won't throw the bolt back far enough to eject. I've set the adjustable knob on front for light or heavy loads, with no appreciable difference.

The only thing I've noticed is that the action spring is much heavier than any other autoloader shotgun I've dealt with, and requires quite a bit of pressure to open the gun - subjectively I'd say it's about twice as hard as say, an 1100 action spring.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I wonder if the spring is adjustable like the model 50?

Danny

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 58 action spring is in the mag tube. Have a gunsmith look at your gun. If you cannot find someone to check it out, talk to

The 58 Sportsman
    811 Spring Avenue NE
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503
    Phone: (616) 235-0295
    Fax: (616) 458-1705

Guess what HE works on! LOL

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had trouble with mine cycling also. I took it to Remington, Timney , and if memory serves me correctly, to the Sportsmen 58 Shop. All of this failed. I finally got Bobby Whitis in Manchester, KY to look at it and he fixed it. He would never tell me what he did but it worked. Bobby has always shot an 1100 and has to be an automatic gun guru to keep one of those devils running for 100 targets. You might give him a call, he's in the book.

Charlie

5. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start off by pulling the spring and function test to see if it needs a new spring, and then probably call one of the professionals you guys suggested.

6. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Doesn't the Model 58 have two setting that you have to adjust based on your load? One for target and one for field loads?

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Yes Benniesdad, the 58 has an adjustable forearm cap that allows the system to vent more or less gas through 3 ports. The settings are "L" and "H" (light and heavy). 58's are notoriously tempermental, but I've always like my 58's and shot them well. They must be kept very clean and the cylinder area dry and free of oil. I've never seen any 58 that was worth a damn below around 40 degrees or so.

JMHO

Tron

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I shot a 58 for about a year and it worked well all the time. I cleaned it with a dry rag until the cup in the piston filled up with residue. Only had to clean out that cup once every 5,000 shells. Used Universal Clays and Clay Dot powder. The Clay Dot load (16.5 grains, 1-1/8 oz) would drop the empties right next to me. The UC load (steel) would roll the empties over to the next guy and touch his foot once or twice a round. Bought my gun from a guy at the club who didn't use it much. Nice gun.

I drilled an 870 barrel out to match the gas ports on the original barrel and it worked great. I wanted the tighter choke and no rib of my 870 bbl.

Maybe you need a new spring, as Mike suggests.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington model 58 sportsman

remington sportsman 58 for shooting trap

remington sportsman 58 parts

remington sportsman 58 shooting lite loads

remington sportsman 58 wont cycle

remington sportsman model 58

shooting the remington model 58 sportsman in the l seating useing heveyloads

sportsman 58 wont cycle shells