1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Sportsman 48

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

A friend asked me to look over his 12 ga. shotgun (subject model).
    I disassembeled and cleaned. Getting the firing pin and spring back in the bolt/carrier was an adventure ! Anyway here's my question: When fully assembled with the bolt retracted, the barrel will push back to the retracted bolt face
    (about 2" - 2 1/2"). it moves against a spring and collar that fits over the magazine tube. I don't see any gas ports, etc. How does this thing work ?

Thanks for any information

2. johnpe

johnpe Member

I'm pretty sure that the Sportsman 48 is essentially the same gun as the 11-48. If so, it is recoil operated like the Browning A5 and the Remington M11 where the barrel and bolt come back together when it is fired. They then separate and the barrel quickly moves forward pulling itself off of the hull. The bolt follows and picks up a new shell from the magazine and shoves it into the barrel. Then the gun is ready for another shot. There are no gas ports.

Johnpe

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That's a pogo stick gun, normal.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's what use to be called a "recoil operated gun"....... The barrel pushes the bolt back instead of using the gas to push the bolt back leaving the barrel stationary. Good little guns. My dad bought me my 28 gauge 11-48 when I was 9. It's shot a lot of meat. If you can get used to the barrel moving you'll love it.

5. Tron

Long recoil operated (I know of some Old timers that refered to them as "Pogo Sticks"). The sub gauge 48's are fetching quite a bit these days. It's a lot like a stream lined A5.

6. trap906

trap906 Member

double kickers! once when the shell goes off, and again when the bbl slams back at you !! and slow,slow, slow....but it worked..kinda lol. i always hated shooting those old A5's, the 11-48 never seemed as bad though

7. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Just shot my 11-48 in 16ga yesterday and loved it. Being an A5 guy that isn't hard to do.

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I am an Auto 5 kinda of guy!

It is my target and bird hunting shotgun of choice!

To me it does not kick twice or shuffle once or more, I have shot hundreds of rounds in a day and am ready to go shoot hundreds more the next day

The Sportsman 48 was remingtons field version of the 11-48, it is a long recoil action.

You will either love a long recoil shotgun or hate it, I have not found anyone on the fence!

and By the way, TO ME, the gas operated shotguns double shuffle!

Al

9. Tron

The A-5 was considered a "killing machine" in Europe, so Remington responded with the "Sportsman", which was only 3 shot.

10. Sport-Trap

Sport-Trap Member

The biggest difference... 11-48's like oil A-5's shoot dry.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I think the Franchi 48AL has the same action---I own several and had many great hunts with them----George@SJB

12. MR870

MR870 Member

I own a Sportsman 48 and 1148 of my grandad's.I remember shooting them when I was 11 years old on a dove hunt.My arm was bruised for a week due to the pounding that gun gave me but I wouldn't trade it for nothing for the memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to attach mag tube to receiver on rem model sportsman 48 shotgun
loading sportsman 48

remington sportsman 48 firing pin

remington sportsman 48 firing pins
remington sportsman 48 recoil
remington sportsman 48 recoil barrel
sportsman 48 firing pin and springs
where are the gas ports on remington 1148