1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Sporting Clays Ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mikey1100, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey1100

Mikey1100 TS Member

At a recent league shoot, I noticed a few shooters using Remington Sporting Clays shells. On the box it says 1300 fps. I am new to trap shooting and was the scorer. I know if this were an ATA registered shoot, those shells would be illegal. What should I have done or said? The league chairman said , don't worry about it. 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2

thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If it was not a registered shoot, dont worry about it

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From where you're sitting, can you be sure that what is ON the boxes is what is IN the boxes or that what was ON the hulls was what was IN the hulls?

Keller

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Well by SAAMI stds this is an OK shell 1250 Fps + or- 90 Fps =1340fps

Poor way to say they are legal thogh, but that is the rule + or - 90 Fps

The AA super Hdcps have tested over 1320fps.

But I go with the printed speed on the shells or box, that says they are legal.

But stretching the rules they are OK.

I have picked up a lot of new shells at shoots that even say 1 1/4 oz #6s
    In Kentucky and at Cardinal, let alone 1300fps Sporting Clays Shells

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to be a scorer make sure you bring your calibrated cronograph with you so you can check everybodies ammo. HMB

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Mikey1100 - You reported what you saw to management and let them make a decision. You did the right thing. If you did the same thing at a registered shoot, that too would be right thing to do.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Legal reloads will fit into a 1300 fps sporting clays box and vice a versa. 1oldtimer

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gary, they are illegal for ATA competition. Says so, right on the box.

And, it's 1200+- 90 fps....

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why would anyone "report" something like this or feel the need to? Just curious

What other things would you feel the "need" to report?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Quit pickin' the fly shit out of the pepper. Look REALLY HARD at the bird and it will break no matter what velocity you are rolling it out of the barrel at. I shoot mostly FITASC Sporting, and 70 yd.rolling battues break just as well with 1200 FPS. loads as they do with 1350 FPS. pocket rockets. Just get used to the lead of the given velocity and you will do just fine. If you are worrying about the velocity when you pull the trigger, you are already half way to the also-ran catagory.

I've tried every velocity from the back fence from 1170 to 1300. My scores are always the same...poor. How come I can hit a 60 yd. crossing sporting target, but a right driver from the 27 eludes me time after time? A mystery of life, my friends. But, it keeps me coming back.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Several years ago, a Pennsylvania ATA All-American and PSSA HoF member saw three new shooters using black-hulled Federal Game Loads during a mid-week event at Elysburg. He retrieved one of their empty boxes from the trash barrel at one of the traps where they shot and found they were 1-1/8 loads of 7-1/2s but the rated velocity was mildly illegal. He promptly reported them to the line referee who confronted them at their vehicle and when they readily admitted to using those shells, disqualified all three.

The high score the three of them posted was a 74 and none of them shot at a registered target again. There might be times when a few words do more good than "the right thing."

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sporting clays ammo