Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

remington shotgun

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr Newbius© 
#1 ·
hi i just bought a Model 11-87™ Sportsman ® Super Mag Waterfowl shotgun theres 3 chokes that came with it was a .002 flooded timber choke a .006 waterfowl over decoys and a .009 pass shooting choke!! how can i tell if there full/modified/improved?and can i shoot lead or steel through them ? tks any help would be great

#3 ·
The numbers you listed are the amount of constriction which equals the amount of choke. For lead shot those constrictions would be .002 = cyl. bore, .006 = skeet 1, and .009 = imp. cyl. I am not familiar with the constrictions used for steel shot. HMB

#5 ·
No problem shooting lead through those chokes. You will probably find that even the 'pass' tube is a bit too open for trap targets when you use lead target loads. No problem, go buy a IMOD of FULL lead tube for when you want a tight lead shot pattern.

Sounds like you bought a modern day duck gun for hunting ducks with steel shot. If that is the case, just use the chokes you have as marked.

#6 ·
you have to remember steel shot is very hard compared to lead. old rule of thumb is use two shot sizes bigger in steel than you would in lead, and two sizes more open choke for steel. usually imp. cyl. constriction for lead will get you a modified or tighter pattern from steel, depending on the shot size you choose. the only sure way to tell is pattern it on paper. some modern choke tubes are marked for constriction in lead and what it is for steel. have fun.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.