1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Shotgun Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HTSmith, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

It's time for me to restock primers. I have been using Remington hulls, wads, primers, and Alliant American Select for 1 and 1.125 loads at about 1200 fps. These seem to be working just as well as the factory STS loads for me, but then again I'm no expert. Now in my shopping for a new supply of primers it seems that Remington is drastically more expensive than Federal or Winchester. In the Mid South catalog I just got the Remingtons are almost double the cost of Federal. Couple of questions:
    Is there a reason the Remingtons are so much more expenssive, ie are they better? and Does anyone have a good recipe for one ounce loads using American Select powder and Federal or Winchester primers? (All the Alliant data I can find uses Remingtons) Thank you.

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I would say to price around. I just looked at Recob's Target Shop website.
    Federal are $136.89, Remington are $172.99, Winchester are $142.99 & Nobel Sport are $109.99. All prices are per 5,000. They have other brands also & are great people to deal with. You might try Gamaliel's also, heard they had a sale on primers on this website last week. JMO but check around. Colonel

3. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Looks like its time to switch primers. Thanks

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used winchester primers almost all the time in Remington hulls, no problems

5. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I use STS hulls, Rem TGT12S Wads, Win primers, 17.6gr Clay Dot, 1oz lead. Cost per box = $3.50
    Great load for 16 yards.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

At the Farm&Home store here, the Winchesters are $34.99/1000 and the Remingtons are $5.99/100. Guess they think the Remingtons appeal to the black powder shooters? Needless to say, the Remingtons just sit there.

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I was a devote W209 and F209 fan for years and It was hard to teach this old dog new tricks but I switched to cheddite and noble primers and I dont have any problem with them.The cost factor made me want change...PJ

8. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

http://cacassociatesinc.com/gpage1.html

$148.00 for 5000 here in The commonwealth of Pennsylvania @ cacassociates just follow the above link.

GanderMtn sells them for $4.99 for a sleave. $49.99 @ 1000

Jason in PA

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Remington primers are good but not worth the prices you are mentioning. Winchester 209 and Federal 209A are also very good primers just make sure you adjust your powder charges accordingly.(check powder man. data) This is especially important with the Federal primer.

The other bargain brand primers will also do a good job for you but finding the loading data for them is not always easy.

10. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Hey Jason, is CA Associates walk in only or will they ship? I'm way down here in NC. thanks

11. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Hey Jason, is CA Associates walk in only or will they ship? I'm way down here in NC. thanks

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The Rem sts primers are good but the regular Rem 209p are junk if you ask me. I have had more misfires with them than all the other brands combined. I am partial to win 209.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed the price differences in the last week myself. It would seem that Rem. will have to lower there price soon to be competitive, but time will tell. They may feel their primers are worth more. Break-em all. Jeff

14. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

No they are only walk in due to hazmat charges to ship primers
    sorry to get your hopes up.

Jason in PA

15. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I use fiocchi and have had no problems at all and they were $105 per 5000

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have used Fiocchi primers for Winchester applications for years. Work great for lots less $$. Newer manuals give recipies for Fiocchi applications. Clyde

17. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I bought CCI from Sportsman's last night for $27, switching from Remington that I have been paying $39.00 for. GaryL.

18. undersluice

undersluice Member

Let us know how your CCI's perform ? Do they have a brass cap like Remington's or some other metal like the european primers ?

I use Remington's too but they are getting pricey.

~JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.