1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Shot vs. Eagle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

KCTA in Smithville MO is having their annual winter sale on components.

Magnum shot is as follows:

Remington - $39.95 per 25 lb

Eagle - $35.95 per 25 lb

Is there any appreciable difference between the two?

I'd be buying 7.5 shot for my handicap loads.

Opinions?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Eagle is softer than chilled shot. Remington is either chilled or Magnum-see label. Eagle is more likely to be undersized, and have a greater range of sizes in the bag. I'd buy the Remington Magnum for caps loads.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Eagle is softer than chilled shot. Remington is either chilled or Magnum-see label. Eagle is more likely to be undersized, and have a greater range of sizes in the bag. I'd buy the Remington Magnum for caps loads.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

zzt

Both are listed as "Magnum."

I've used the Remington shot in the past and it is top notch.

Just wondering if the Eagle was worth buying instead.

I'm at the 25 yard line.

Tim

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pay the difference for the superior product. Unless your shooting is confined to 16 yard.

HM

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Same stuff. Comes from Peru through New York Or Main I forget. Remington pays a litter more for Quality control but does not amount to that much difference. About all the (Shot-lead) vendors get their supply thru Peru. That is here for the U.S. Had been contracted since around 2004 at 2004 price and is still binding to the ammo co.such as Winchester, Remington thru 2010. They have been paying the same price and will be till 2010 and keep making a wonderful profit.
    Bill

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tim, I know they are both listed Magnum. Eagle lies. Remington doesn't.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

zzt,

Thanks,

I'll probably spend the extra and get the Remington. Its worked well for me in the past.

Wonder if Neil has done his drop test on these two brands.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have used both Remington and Eagle 8's with good results for singles and short handicap. For games, I use Lawrence 7 1/2, 7, 6 and 5, also with good results.

The Remington STS 6% antimony shot was beautiful and it said “Made in USA” on its plastic bag.

The Lawrence Magnum shot, in its plastic bag says “Made in USA”.

I got 10 bags of Winchester chilled 8's at a good price last summer and these work great at 1150 fps. They say "Made in USA" on the cloth bag. I wish I had bought more.

The Eagle shot, in a cloth bag with a plastic liner, says "Made in Peru".

I find it hard to believe that the Lawrence, Remington and Winchester shot was made in Peru.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Yes I have, Tim.

"Eagle is softer than chilled shot." (zzt)

" Eagle lies." (zzt)

"zzt's right." (NW) It's by far the softest shot I've ever seen.

Neil

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I agree that extra hard shot is better at higher velocities.

For ATA, I load 1 oz of 8's at 1150-1180 fps and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's at 1125-1150 fps.

For games, I use the best shot I can find and load 1 ¼ oz at 1220 fps.

Is there a velocity that is better for softer shot?

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil and zzt.

Tim

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Now to confuse you, Tim, here's a test which shows that at 16 yards there's not enough difference to worry about. It tested Lawrence chilled, and not the softer Eagle Magnum, but it's something to think about.

I shoot hard shot for everything.

Neil

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil,

Not confused. I believe you.

In fact, for 16-yard practice and league shooting (and skeet), I plan to use some homemade stuff I get from a guy who makes it in his son's used car lot garage. The pellets are not uniform, nor are they particularly spherical. Mostly rugby ball shaped. They measure out around 0.088 in, but there is a lot of variance. However, for 16 yard practice and for skeet, I have no doubt this shot will suffice (though I have done no testing to back that theory up.)

For registered events, I will probably use factory made shot, either chilled or magnum (though I suspect chilled since it'll be cheaper.)

I'll use the Remington 7.5 shot for my handicap loads.

15. setter

setter Member

FWIW, Remington shot is made from their tower east of Little Rock, AR in Loanoke, AR. Same location where their ammo is made.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I always spurned the imported brands of shot because several reloading aquaintences told me horror stories about it but when shot went to $17.00 a bag (yeah, I know, don't I wish it was still that "expensive"), I bought some Eagle for $14. I dumped some of it out on the glass top of our dining room table and watched it roll. None of it changed direction or stopped rolling before the rest (my "roundness test"), so I loaded a flat of one-ounce loads with it. That weekend, I ran a 100-straight at 16 yards with those shells, so I bought 100 more bags of it. I've since started using it for handicap (27 yards) and my average is no better or worse than it was with Lawrence and West Coast.

Perhaps different lots of it have problems but the stuff I got seems okay. I'd still rather use "good" shot but I'm never going to be a champion handicap shooter and shot quality doesn't seem very important at 16 yards, so I'm satisfied with it.

Ed

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I found the same as Ed did. My main loading table top is Lexan and any shot getting on there tells me if it's out of round. I use the cheaper Eagle (so-called magnum) shot for singles and first doubles shot and have broken good scores as well, including a 100. Hap

18. prince_of_darkness

prince_of_darkness TS Member

tim 99 ive seen you shoot before so id say buy the cheap stuff.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Prince,

So you're saying I shoot so well, the type of shot wouldn't matter because my exceptional ability would overcome any shortcomings the cheap shot might have?

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, for your sake I hope those hundred bags are from the same round lot.

I first bought Eagle shot because two reloaders I have great respect for told me it was the roundest shot they had ever seen. So I thought I'd save $1.25 a bag and went for it. When I opened the first bag of #8 I found I had 25lbs of square 8 1/2 shot. It was awful. I took all the unopened ones back and exchanged them for Star Magnum. That turned out to be soft, but very round an uniformly sized. The 7 1/2 was actually a little larger than normal, but it simply smashed targets.

The next batch of Star I bought was terrible. I won a bag of eagle and it was round, but soft and small. I bought some more and it was terrible. I gave up. I swapped all the Lawrence, and everything else I had and decided to stay with West Coast magnum. Round, uniform, repeatable, consistent. The only other thing I would use is Remington STS shot, assuming it is as good as it was three years ago hen I could still get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 25 lb buckshot