1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington selling ammo direct w/ FREE SHIPPING!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

This was news to me. Seems like I read somewhere they were quitting the ammo bizz maybe not?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well with Remington Gun Clubs selling for $70.99/Flat, I'll pass.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

^

What he said.

4. WTW

WTW Member

At thoses prices they won't be in bussiness much longer.
    No wonder the shipping is free.

Ted

5. esbshaw

esbshaw TS Member

Yeah, they're pretty harsh on that .38 Special, too. Close to a buck a round! Makes Cabela's look like a bargain.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great way for the owners to bow out of the ammo business.

Hap

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, if Remington goes out of the ammo business and AAHS being what they are, what are we going to do for hulls????

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

In the end it might just come down to the individual clubs providing ammo. Let's face it. We have less and less support every day. It may well come down some day to we shooters establishing two or three ammo making centers to provide for all the clubs. I say, let's get going on it now. Let's not wait for outside forces to put a crimp in our supplies. Jim

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Remington has listed manufacturer's suggested retail prices for their guns for years but they're still making them. I think you might be reading too much into this.

Ed

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ed,

With all due respect, I think you are not reading enough into this. Did you actually click on the link and then click on a product? Its not suggested retail prices. You are able to add the products you wish to buy to your cart and check out at the prices listed. There is shipping instructions and all.

11. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Do those prices include a round of trap for each box? ;-)

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Free shipping my ass. Your paying for it by those prices. I'll keep reloading before I pay those prices. Where do they get off thinking they can get people to pay those prices?

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The gun clubs and sport loads are about the same price as Wal Mart but with no tax so they might end up a little cheaper and you didn't give your money to Wal Mart. Tough crowd around here.

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I can get Nitro 27's at Shyda's in Lebanon PA for $71/flat, No way in H*** that I am gonna pay that for Gun Clubs. Dick's Sporting Goods has done away with their case discounts and Gun Clubs are "On Sale" for $6.99/box.

Oscar

15. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Has anybody noticed no STS or Nitro target loads were listed?

16. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I'm not sure how you guys are making the leap from Remington overpricing ammo on their website to them using it as a strategy to exit the ammo business.

Basically, they are pricing it levels comparable to where the big box store have it priced. You certainly wouldn't expect them to sell a couple million cases to Dicks, Walmart whoever, then drop their prices on their website to wholesale levels.

We just received our pricing list for shells for the Iowa High School program. GC listed at $51.89, Premium Remington at $70.25.

17. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

In the past 6 months I have never paid more than $4.50 a box plus tax from dicks. Many times I can get it even cheaper because the cashiers dont care and take the $10 of $50 purchase coupon. Several times I used the coupon when it was on sale for $4.50 a box and I paid $3.50/box. Even when not on sale the gun clubs are $5.48 for me when buying buy the case.

18. lboh

lboh Member

You guys crack me up.

So they want to sell on their site, so what. You complain about the prices but you also need to understand it's this way for a reason. They can not price lower to protect their dealer network, end of story. So they list them at retail and include shipping and figure they may get 5% - 7% of sales through the site to people that just want an easy quick sale with no worries.

Ever wondered why outlet malls pop up in the middle of nowhere??? It's because the manufacturer generally has agreements not not directly sell in markets where their retailers are.

Remington would be stupid to lowers costs and compete against their dealers.

But I guess the crazy theories here are more fun than reality.....

19. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Iboh makes a good point. If I were a Remington dealer and Remington undercut my pricing to sell directly to the end user, I would be the first dealer in line in a big lynch mob at Remington's gates. ....Rick

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Iboh has it right - the manufacturer does not want to get into lower volume distribution, that is what the wholesale guys do. And yes there has to be a profit in it for them to survive. This doesn't just apply to ammo, it is the same for most goods.

There was also some talk about the various clubs taking the responsibility for distribution but what you need to consider is that the club would have to eat the cost of at least one inventory turn which could easily be $10K. This money that is essentially sunk and is not recovered if the club sells at cost or even cost plus 10%. Where does that money come from? Well in one way or another it will have ot come out of the pocket of you the shooter/club member.

The best bet is to make group buys of 100 plus flats through a wholesaler and let him deal with the cost of inventory vs the sales margin.

No free lunches out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.