1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington RXP's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I just bought some reloading stuff from an widowed lady, powder, wads, shells and in among the shells were 5 boxes of new RXP 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz # 8 shells. Pretty neat looking as you can see through the hull and see they were using RXP wads and see the shot also. Near as I can tell Remington quit making them in about 1980 or so. I remember seeing the boxes as a high school kid, seems like they went for 2.50 a box or there abouts. I imagine some of you on here used to shoot a lot of RXP shells? Scott

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

they used to be the hot ticket in skeet shooting. I beleive they came out about the same time as the 3200.

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Remington's entry item into the uni-hull without a base wad inside. They load great, reloading books say to use the same loading information as the STS and Rem. Nitro use.

They originally had an offer of free RXP wads shipped free to your house if you sent the box tops into Remington. They also included with the free wads new boxes to replace the ones you tore the tops off of.

Picture included

[​IMG]

4. Scott Johnson

Interesting to hear how things were then, thanks guys. The relatively clear hull makes it easy to see the shot. Scott

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

That is VERY cool! Sure would like to see something like that today!

6. creek

creek Member

I received 2,000+ once fired RXP's from someone that had them stored in their attic since the 1960's. They reload very well and wear like iron. He also gave me the RXP boxes.

The first re-prime is difficult, but after that they load like STS's.

I think they make the best looking reloads!

John

7. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Scott

I think it would be nice if you sent RickN a couple boxes and me a couple
    boxes and you could keep one for your self.

Birddog

8. Scott Johnson

Bird dog, I would sell one box to the highest bidder, was planning on using the other 4 in an ATA singles event, may be a 100 straight locked up in those 4 boxes. Do I hear a reasonable bid or trade? Scott

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have a box of Federal Handicap that Tom Van Belle traded to me for some Nitros
    Is that reasonable?

Rick in MT

10. Scott Johnson

Not unless Tom Vanbelles Weiner dog goes with it. Scott

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I just finished reloading some RXP's blue & green that I had stashed away and forgot about them. The primers were hard to knock out. They do not go through my MEC 9000 G as easy as the sts or gun clubs. I loaded them in #8 1oz.basically the same as STS. They look good. I will shoot them at the next registered shoot.

Clyde

12. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Didn't they take the 97* primer?

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

JayZap

Yes

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The first shotshells I loaded were RxP - that was around 1975. You could actually buy new factory primed hulls back then. (not loaded ammo)

Good memories and the shells were very good quality.

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The RXP shells were introduced in the 1972 Remington-Peters Sporting Firearms and Ammunition Catalogue.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

1972 is right. These were Remington new hull replace the grand ole All American. My dad bought thelast 5 cases from a local dealer for $30 each because the new RXP was so superior no one would want the All Americans.

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

57 was the small primer. 97 is the same size as the 209. RXP's take the larger 209 size. I still load them.

Ajax

18. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hey man, don't this thread say somthing..

We are all old farts who has lots of memories of the good old days...

We bought RXP factories in the 70's and I think the shells cost $2.50 a box and the Clays cost $2.50 a round at our club..

I am still loading some of those hulls today, as a guy had the scence to save some and a couple years back , gave them to me..

Nice shell, i am using 17.0 grains of Tightwad, RXP wad and WW209 primer..

Finished off with 1-1/8 ounce of West Coast xtra hard 8's , pulverizes clay..

Currently I am at Elysburg for the E.Zone shoot, hope to meet some of you guys there..

Meeting with Vern and Brenda on Friday, Great friends that I first met here 3 years ago..

Many shooters that I meet at those shoots are perticularly interested in the Moose hunting in Newfoundland..

Cheers,

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wholesale at my dad's Western Auto store was $36.ish a case. That's a 20 box case. But of course, I was only making $125. a week then too. Great shell. Sold the empties for a penny a piece. They had the prettiest shot and it showed nicely through the blue clear hull.

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Barry, The Rems were green and the blues were Peters. Reloaded some yesterday.
    Clyde

Search tags for this page
buy 12 remington rxp wads
reloading new primed rxp 12ga hulls youtube

reloading remington rxp hulls

remington rxp

remington rxp hulls

remington skeet 20 gauge hulls rxp
remington xrp
what is a remington rpx shotshell