1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington PT 12 wad reloading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scorpman, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpman

scorpman Member

I have a couple bags of old Remington PT-12 wads from a large lot I bought. I have not seen this wad come up in any of the online reloading guides by Hodgen's or Alliant. Doing a Google search doesn't give me any info either. Does anyone have any data for these wads? What weight load are they for?

~Jeff

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stand one up next to a TGT12 and a Figure 8 wad and you will be able to figure it out. HMB

3. scorpman

scorpman Member

I see they are for 1oz to 1 1/8oz loads, but I want a safe recipe for loading in REM Gun Club or WIN AA hulls with WIN209 primers.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Is there a part number on the bag? Something like 299XX?

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Aren't the 'PT' wads the 'Paper Target', #23676, for old high-basewad paper hulls?

They are a short wad, abt 1.33" LOA, but with the usual .785 deep cup.

Bob

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Here are some pictures Jeff sent. Maybe you old timers can work on this. First time I have seen this wad. I am "guessing" it may have been a promotional item Remington marketed at some point in time after they came out with the one piece cases. Sort of like the Rem 209T Target primers they put on the market for a couple of years back in the 70's.

Maybe someone can furnish Jeff with some published reloading data for this wad.

[​IMG]

7. scorpman

scorpman Member

I emailed Remington and they were no help. They said "Thank you for your inquiry. We cannot provide any reloading data." So, do I have some rare, collectible, valuable bags of wads? Anyone want some for their collection of historic shooting gear?

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

not sure, but the bag has UNIBODY SHELLS, was that not what R-P called the RXP that replaced the ALL-AMERICAN hulls, back in the 70's ??? Grubby

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I believe they predate the RXP hulls and wads. I remember using them in some older Remington plastic hulls and a few activ hulls some years ago. The only reference I could find for data was some odd loads in various loads located on page 23, 28, and 32 in the pdf document located <a href="http://shell.gmi.net/~hyskor/Targets/reloader.pdf"
    target="_blank">Here</a> It's a 1996 Alliant Powder Book.

I believe the 23676 was different and was around sometime in the late 1960's. I think it was designed for the higher basewad style hulls, or possibly paper hulls. I remember it being a shorter wad with a different powder cup and mid section than the wads shown here as the PT 12.

10. scorpman

scorpman Member

Thanks Quack Shot - Looks like I can use some of the older Alliant data.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unibody was a field shell, usually marked Shur-Shot Victor, as I recall. Earlier Remington field shells had a composition base wad.

The PT 12 wad suffers from a shortage of loading data because of its relatively short production life. I recall using them for one ounce loads, and any AA recipe works. They were only around a year or so and the TGT took its place. I think this wad was Remington's first attempt to emulate AA wads, and save a little money compared to Power Pistons cost to make.

HM

12. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Yeah,what Halfmile said....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pt12 wad remington
pt1215 wad
pt1215 wad remington hulls
reloading pt 1209 wads
remington tgt 12s wad loading data