1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just came across two thousand Remington 97* (209) primers. How do they differ from the current 209P's ??
    I would like to use them in old style AA hulls, Downrange Jammer XL 1 oz. wads. and Claydot powder. So far all I can find is 209P info. Looking at 17.5 grams of Claydot to keep the speed just under 1200fps.

2. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I just finished loading 1000 rounds with the same primers. They are the same as the 209P primers. I can not tell the differance. The load is Remington hulls, #97 primer,19.5 grains of Red Dot, and Rem Fig8 wad. Speed of 1200-1225 Fps works great for all my shooting.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Load them like any Rem 209P and you'll have no difficulties. I'm quite sure they're exactly the same!!

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Not worried about size as much as hotter or slower.
    Thanks so far for the feedback.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have seen in print that the #97 is the same as the 209P, just where I saw it is the problem. May have been in one of the older Lyman manuals. I believe the main difference is the #97 does not have a covered flash hole, so is best to use with flake powders rather than the fine ball powders.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Correct on the flash hole. There was also a 97-4 which was very cold for use with .410 loads.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.