1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REMINGTON PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

Fellow Reloaders ,

Since Remington has increased the cost of 209 primers astronomically , I'm wondering what most folks are going too ? I have seen Federals for $ 125 to $ 130 and Winchesters for about $ 150 . If you are changing primers to Win. or Fed. are you going to alter your load data as these are said to be hotter than Remingtons . I like to load a shell in the 1150 to 1175 fps zone and I want to know if I'm going to have to start all over . I use 700X & Red Dot with TGT or Green Dusters for 1 ounce & Green Dot or sometimes 700X with Blue Dusters & just bought a case of Claybuster Fig 8 for 1 1/8 ounce . I use STS / Gold Nitro or Gun Club hulls .

Thank you in advance for your time and help .

Bill

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use winchester. Same data generally as using remingtons if you look.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I were you I would switch to Rio Primers, once you switch and used them, the shells you used them in you will have to use the Rio's as Rem's will fall out. But the price is around $103 for 5,000. Very reliable, I have used over 50,000 of them so far and never a miss fire or piercings.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

But since nobody (according to both Alliant Powder and Downrange Mfg) is ever really sure what the brisance of the latest shipment of Rios will actually be and since Rio hasn't changed their load data since they first published it, you sort of in the dark about what load data you should use.

Keller

5. soup

soup Member

Folks ,

Thank you for the information on those other primers , but I really am going to try to stay with either Winchester or Federal .

I appreciate the input but I'm currently only interested in those two manufacturers .

Good Shooting ,

Bill

6. Unknown1

Then I would suggest that you go to the online data guide for the company whose powder you use and find Winchester data that uses the same components that your Remington data used and switch to it. You won't be able to match all Remington data to Winchester data; don't try to extrapolate and generate you own formulas.

Keller

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cheddite. I used Remmy till the price went through the roof, now it's even worse.

HM

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I heard a nasty rumor the other day that Remington was getting out of the reloading market. They are going to stop making all reloading components, so making a switch to another component is probably a wise move.

9. soup

soup Member

Unknown1 ,

I did just that after reading your post . Alliant 's factory rep . informed me that the Win. & Rem. were very close so it would not pose a problem for the particular loads I spoke to him about , and the Federals being hotter , his suggestion was to drop my powder charge down one half grain . The IMR ( 700X )folks are closed today so I'll give them a call on Monday .

Thank you all for your input .
    Bill

10. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

tho you seem to have limited your choices to Fed and Win (I prefer to buy American, too) I would sub Cheddites for Rems if I was reloading STS/Gun Clubs. They can be picky about primer length, and Cheddites are shorter like Rem209. The taper on the Win209 helps, but you may still get a high primer now and then, especially on once fired hulls. This will hang up my MEC and is a real nuisance.

K

11. Unknown1

Choosing a substitute primer may come down to what you can get OTC. Cheddites, Rios and Nobels would not be among my available options if I had to switch. Federal, Winchester and CCI... them's it!

Keller

12. undersluice

undersluice Member

I also faced a similar issue here in SoCal. R209 were getting very difficult to get hold off and got very expensive. I switched to W209's as well.

I use Alliant's E3 for my 1oz loads, didn't have a receipe for my components, spoke to an Alliant rep and he said that they (Alliant) feel R209 and W209 primers are very similar and can be interchanged with their powders.

Thanks,
    JB

13. plux001

plux001 Member

Bill - I went thru the same exercise recently. I switched to Winchesters and am very happy. While I had an occasional ftf with federal and remington, the winchesters have been flawless. I like clays and load about .5 grains more with the winchesters, producing the same velocity with a bit less pressure (spolar windjammer wads). Always check your final load on a chrono as you might be surprised how much hotter it is than the spec. Also, it goes without saying, measure your powder with every new batch. I also chrono new batches of powder occasionally, to make sure I'm still where I want to be.

Paul

14. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Lyman 5th edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook on page 158 has a 1 ounce load listed using 16.5 grains of red dot, CCI 209 primer, and DR XL-1 wad listed for the Remington Premier STS hulls. Due to a primer trade about a year ago with a rifle shooter I acquired 1,000 of the CCI 209 primers. That particular load worked very well for me. If you happen to have the 5th edition you may want to take a look at the Hodgdon Primer Variation test in the upper right hand corner of page 46. But as always, do your own research and don't use my data or anyone else's loading data without checking it out on your own.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

hit, since you are loading light in the 1150-1175 range if won't really matter which primer you select. Buy the cheapest primer available and you will be ok.

Kevin Fleming , Every non Rem primer I have used in Rem hulls will not always seat flush. It is such a nuisance I don't load Rem hulls.

16. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Tom Armbrust did a study of different primers and 700X powder:

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

For me, primers are not the cost driver on my reloads, so a couple extra bucks are worth it to get the right fit in my STS/Nitro hulls. W209's stick up just a touch on the first loading, which I don't like. But they certainly perform well. I keep both in stock, especially since I recently came into a bunch of old CF AA's to shoot:)

18. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

As Avaldes says above the Winchesters stick up a bit on the first loading into STS hulls but don't seem to cause any problems. They go in fine for me on the second loading. (Winchester's are actually a little taller than the Remington)
    I switched from the HS AAs to the STS hulls last fall and didn't change anything else. No pressure problems on single or cap loads and the targets still break when I do my part.

Lewis

19. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Where is everyone finding Remington 209 primers? Up here in the Northeast part of the country, we haven't been able to find a Remington 209 primer since June of 2011. The early post about Remington getting out the reloading business starts to make sense in the context of the availability of their primers, and the cost of their factory wads. Absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand the driving force behind the decision to turn their backs on their customers, when considering the shooters who shoot the Rem factory ammo, who then reload the hulls using factory components. Add to this the rumor that Remington does not plan on offering the $2 per box rebate this year on their factory ammo. It reeks of "tough-luck-we-don't-care-ammo-is-a-liability-to-us-corporate-beancounters." As a lifetime Remington ammo guy, I'm right on the verge of having the same attitude about them that they have about me. Since when is my money worth any less to them than it is to Winchester?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.