1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington primer issue(s)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks to tudurgs for posting the URL for Tom Armbrust's outstanding article. I'm in the midst of a dilemma because of the shortage and subsequent very high prices of Remington STS primers. ($45/1000 at Cabela's) Shyda refuses to stock them and CAC has a "few" but are priced ridiculously higher than other brands. I load STS hulls exclusively with nearly 40 flats under the bench, for this season, and another 10,000 once fired hulls cleaned and ready to load, so I'm fairly well committed to STS. That being said, it seems, from the Armbrust article, that CCI-209 appears to be identical, performance wise, and I'm wondering if they "fit" STS hulls OK and feed well in a PW 800+. Hopefully I can simply switch to CCI-209.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, best....mike

2. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I run all STS and Nitro hulls and use either Winchester or CCI's primers with out any trouble. First time in takes a little more pressure on the handle but after that your good.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

BB: Gamaliel shows Rems. @$35.00 plus several others that are cheaper but you would have to add Hazmat and shipping to that. I also am a Rem. user but have used CCI and others when I couldn't get Rem. as long as you're not at the upper limits for chamber pressure I would think CCIs would be a safe sub. the data manuals that I have show very similar data for both. Ross Puls

4. oz

oz Active Member

I started using cheddites a couple of years ago. have used several sleeves (5000) and have not had a single problem. oz

5. WTW

WTW Member

I like the 209 Federal primers. They work fine and Shyda's carry them. I beleive they were arouind $ 114.00 the last 5000 I bought. Good luck.

Ted

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike I loaded a bunch of CCIs in STS and Gun Club hulls for exactly the reason you are considering it. They worked fine EXCEPT that I would get 8 - 15 hulls per 100 that showed leakage around the CCI primer. All of these hulls were once fired factory with Rem primers when I started loading the CCIs so I know that the primer pockets were not stretched. The seepage issue was bad enough that I had to Flitz the face of the breech on a couple of guns to clean it up. I traded the remaining CCI primers I had for some Nobel Sport primers and loaded, shot and dropped the hulls. I have used Winchester 209s in the Remington hulls without any seepage issue but they will occasionally seat a little proud but nothing that a break open gun can't handle.

Are you going to do the April 1 shoot at Tuscarora? If so I have a sleeve of 5,000 STS 209s that I will trade you for a like number of Win 209s if that will help. Or if the need is critical we can meet in the middle earlier.

--- Chip King ---

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I've used CCI 209's in Remington RXP, Premier, and now STS cases since the 70's. Work fine.

8. remtrap

remtrap Member

I ran into a couple guys in the past that had used CCI's in STS hulls and noticed they could not go back to Rem's in those cases because they stretched the pockets out.

remtrap

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

The last STS's that I loaded were done with Win. primers and they were just slightly high after seated. All the guns closed without any problem but I just did not like the feel and look of them.

10. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I load CCI's in STS and Premier hulls with no issues. I have loaded WIN's and noticed the same thing as deercreek, they never seated fully.

Chip

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

All winchesters for me, now. The Feds are made out of some hard steel, have a sharp edge against the breechface, can be hard to seat, and many indent lightly. JMHO.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use Win 209 in STS gold for handicap as per the powder mfg. recomendations. The Win. primers will stand a little proud the first time but fits fine after that. Clays has loads that include Win primers with a little less powder than Rem. primers for the same speed.

If its not in a powder mfg. book I don't use it, period!!

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Cheddites work just fine and cost less. HMB

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have loaded some remy primers in the past and never again. More duds than one can stand. I load nothing but win 209 and have never had a dud one in 15000 reloads. knock on wood.

15. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I have used over 10k Cheddites in both gun club,sts and nitro hulls with no problems.

Scott

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

When I could not find Remington primers I bought Fiocchi. The first 1000 Fiocchi's with Remington hulls have been great, but they will streach your primer pocket. I will stick with the Fiocchi primers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.