1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Peters shells?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How are the remington peters shells, Ive got a chance to buy a few cases at a decent price, not a bargin. Also have a good amount of fired shells also. I have never seen peters before.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

About the only difference is the color.

3. dhg

dhg TS Member

LOad them the same as sts and last just as long.

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Was a damn good shell. I miss the "Blue tragics". They were the shells I grew up in the sport with.

5. rip

rip TS Member

Unlike the STS and Nitros the Peter's has a steel base and a different primer. It also uses a power piston wad as opposed to the fig.8 or TGT used in the Nitros. I never identified the powder or thied to. You won't get as many reloads as the others but the Blues are closer to the Rem. Gun Club than anything else. I base this after cutting some apart and shooting 10 flats.
    Good shooting!RIP

6. rip

rip TS Member

Unlike the STS and Nitros the Peter's has a steel base and a different primer. It also uses a power piston wad as opposed to the fig.8 or TGT used in the Nitros. I never identified the powder or thied to. You won't get as many reloads as the others but the Blues are closer to the Rem. Gun Club than anything else. I base this after cutting some apart and shooting 10 flats.
    Good shooting!RIP

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Peters has been around since the dawn of time, just like Remington. Usually Peters shells are the same as a Remington of similar type. The Blue color is about the only difference, except that some of the new Peters are smooth on the outside, unlike the ribbing of the Gun Clubs. They should be reloadable using STS data.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quack Shot- Why would you conclude that the new Peters hull can be reloaded using data for the STS hull?

Pat Ireland

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It depends on the Peters hull. Most were Remingtons in blue hulls. Some like the Blue Magic were unique to Peters. Recently, I've seen a few Cheddite based imported promo loads sporting the Peters name brand.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I 2nd what the Rev said - just sent some Peters shells south to one of our TS.com guys who was longing for some. I actually think the Premier-type hulls had better longevity than the old AA or STS, in my expeience...

That new Peters hull reminds me of the new AA, slick, shiny, but not an STS although I never cut one open. I do like the box design though!

Jay Spitz

11. piddie

piddie TS Member

Where can I get pretty blue shells?

12. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

My only concern would be the age of the plastic, I think it would become more brittle over time. That is what it seems happened to mine - but they were nearly 30 years old too.

Pat, the hulls are tapered for the Peters as I believe the STS hulls are. I didn't measure the volume so I don't know if it is the same. I loaded Peters shells up using the same recipe as the STS using Clays and 1oz loads it they seemed okay for target velocities of 1200 fps. I WOULD NOT approach anything close to maximum loads, however.

Mike

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I believe the "blue magic" Peters shells were exactly the same as the older-style Remington "premier" loads."

Close, but not exact.

I was once given a box of "Blue Magics" by a Remington Pro. They pretty much looked like Blue Magics but had some extra marks on the plastic. I had to shoot these while shooting with the pro. I was shooting an 1100 and I had to pick up the empties and give them to the Pro....all of them...he counted to make sure he got 25 back.. He asked me a few questions about them. My guess was these were a test run of the Premiers and dyed blue to hide their true identity. Before the 12 gauge Premier debuted, their 20 gauge RXP hulls went from RXP ribbed to smooth side. Those were probably a test of the Premier hull design too.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Remington Blue Magic were the shells BEFORE the Premiers.

They were the 'bubble gum' hulls. The plastic was very soft and if you placed them in a hot chamber and wited your turn to shoot....often as not you shot out a 'cigar' and ejected the back 1/2 of the hull. After a few loadings, they would have burned off enough from the inside to 'cigar' even from a cold gun.

Even more fun was if it didn't 'cigar' but left the front 1/2 part way down the barrel, and you had to peel it out.

At one club that I shot at in those days, there was a sand bank about 60 yards out, those 'cigars' would impact with a *THUNK*.

Remington quickly got the message and changed over to the green Premiers.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland

I've sectioned and measured the hulls and compared them to the STS and Gun Club hulls I have one hand. They are basically identical except for color. There may be some UMC style peters hulls going around that are supposedly manufactured for Remington by Maxim Outdoor (RIO) and would not be compatible with such data. The old Blue Magic hulls are also excluded from using the same data. I have been "gifted" a supply of these blue Peters hulls. Historically, Remington and Peters shotshells have had several similar/identical shells, except for color. I have old Remington Green RXP hulls and Blue Peters RXP hulls that are identical except for branding and color. It's the same thing with the Blue Peters hulls I have on hand. The internal dimentions and construction appears to be the same as the Remington STS and Gun Clubs.

16. 333t

333t Member

I have been loading the old Blue Magics, the Green Magics, and RXP's for some time as well. All of these hulls can be used interchangeably with STS or Gun Club hulls. They are all one piece compression formed hulls with about the same internal capacity. (easily compared by filling the case with shot).

I have found the Green Magic (Premier) hulls last the longest. I believe the plastic in these is slightly thicker than the Blue Magics. The Blues are great to load and have a nice look and slick finish. I have never had a Blue Magic hull separate or split. The RXP's load well too but tend to develop scorched ends rather quickly. The plastic in these seems a little more brittle. These old classic hulls are getting harder to find, especially now that eBay doesn't allow their sale.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington peters shotgun shells

remington peters shotgun shells green