1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Peters Blue Magic Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WesleyB, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Anyone reload the Blue magic? These I have are the old style from the late 70s to early 80's. I do not get a good crimp unless I use 1oz of shot. I feel like I use enough wad pressure. If I load these i really have to change my loader up alot. Any Pointers will be helpful. I might discard them because of the hassel.

Thanks

WesleyB

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What's the rest of your recipe? Could be the wrong wad, bulky powder and so on. You shouldn;'t need any great wad pressure - just enough to seat the wad....Bob Dodd

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I always thought the Blue Magic were the same as the Remington RTL/Premier Hull (opaque green). Not knowing your load, I never had any problems using Clays in AA/WT12/Claybuster/Blue Duster wad with 1.125 oz of lead in the RTL hull.

I use a Hornady Apex 3.0/3.1

Jay

4. WesleyB

Oh sorry.. Brain stopped.

19 grains of Solo 1000 and Claybuster Fig 8 wad or Downrange Fig 8 wad. 1 1/8 oz of shot. Cheddite 209 primers.

Crimps try to unfold and not a deep crimp like is on my STS or AA.

WesleyB

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hmmm, could the hulls be a little different length than your STS hulls? Have you tried adjusting the crimp to a deeper setting or are you telling us that the crimp will crown (bulge) no matter what? Your crimp depth should be similar to the thickness of a dime as a rule of thumb, even on your STS and AA hulls.....Bob Dodd

6. WesleyB

Has very little crimp depth on the same setting as my STS or AA. STS and AA's have a crimp depth of a dime like you say. P-W loader.

WesleyB

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, how about trying a handful with only 17 grains of your powder and see if that's the dilemma. I'm completely in the dark with your powder choice - but then it's working in the STS hull.... Perhaps the Blue Magics ARE NOT "the same" as the modern hull - how about measuring depth of the hull and compare to others? Even volume check with water - fill one hull and pour into the other? Good Luck.....Bob Dodd

8. WesleyB

Well use to load 17.5 grains but i wanted at least 1200 fps. But at the lower powder rate the result was the same. I will do some detailed measuring tonight when i am loading. I have about 500 of these in a drawer and would like to wear them out.

Thank you Bob for your posts.

WesleyB

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

De Nada, WB, I would have sworn those hulls are the same as modern ones but your dilemma certainly suggests they are not. If they're a pain to you, maybe sell them as antiques, eh?

10. WesleyB

Heck ya! Had them longer than i have had my wife. When we got married the first things i move in the house was guns loader supplies and those Hulls. LOL
    Then i helped her with her stuff.

WesleyB

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I used to load a lot of those Blue Magics, and remember having a bit of a hard time as well getting everything to fit. I was loading RXP wads then, and discovered that the Rem. R12H wad worked perfectly since it was basically an RXP wad, but a wee bit shorter. I don't know if Remington still makes this wad, but if you can find a thousand or two of them, you might just have a perfect solution there. ....Rick

12. WesleyB

Point noted Rick. Thanks!

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I think you're going to find the hull has less depth than the modern hulls and the figure 8s are just a wee bit too tall. I've gone through all the older manuals I have and have no loadings for the Blue Magic while all the sources refer to "Premier, STS, Nitro, and Gun Club" hulls. Of course, Nitro 100 is a faster powder and you'd use less of that over Solo 1000. CB puts out a chart with all their wads and which hulls to use them in and there's simply no mention of the Blue Magic hull anymore. Perhaps Kevin at DownRange could recommend another wad for them...Bob Dodd

14. 333t

333t Member

I have loaded the "blue and green magics" interchangeably for years along with some STS and the new blue Peters target shells. They all load and crimp the same on my 366. There is some variation in overall length of the older cases that causes a crimp variation once in awhile. The old smooth green Premier cases seem to be of slightly heavier plastic than the others.

I find no noticeable differences between any of these cases, they all produce a very nice load.

Phil

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use the Remington RXP 12L It is shorter then the RXP 12

16. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I too load the old Blue Magic's interchangeably with the old style green premier's, new green STS & gold Nitro's on my PW. Excellent crimps.

I've not used the powder you're using.

Alliant Red Dot, Claybuster or Downrange fig 8 etc... and makes a nice load.

Good Luck,
    Tom

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I remember them ver well!

The Blue Magics were made outta bubble gum!

On a hot day, they would separate in your gun!

Open your gun and a good chance og 1/2 a hull would come out, the other 1/2 went out as a cigar, or was stuck half way up your barrel, and 15 minutes to get it back out!

18. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

If they are real blues (brass based) they have the smallest internal capacity of anything I ever loaded, using 19.0 of S1000, I don't even think an honest/real F114 yellow wad will give you enough room, if you insist on 1 1/8. But it will just loading 1 1/16 if you can.

I said honest/real because the last F114's I saw from Winchester, were just yellow AA12's in measurement. DR makes an F114 replacement though.

19. mono1393

mono1393 Member

20. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are rtl and blue magic the same hull
is the remington-peters blue shell the same as an sts
loads for remington peters blue magic hulls
peters blue magic hulls

peters blue magic load data