1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington - Peters Blue Hulls??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

I was prowling our local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and noticed some shells in 'old style' Peters boxes. Upon opening the box I found a blue hull that looked like a blue STS/Nitro. Does anyone know if these hulls are the same as the STS/Nitro hulls?

These were new shells, not the old Peters 'Blue Magic' hulls.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There was a thread on here some time back about them. They were a special production shell or something. Yes they were New production but limited run if i remember correctly. Try searching for it.

Matt

3. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

For reloading purposes the blue hulls are same as all Remington tapered hulls. If one was to section an old Peters blue magic hull you would see that they are virtually the same. The new blue hull has a brass plated steelhead. STS and Nitro are all brass heads. Gun Clubs steel. Remington hulls enable you to sort ammo types by color. Black ribbed, Green ribbed, Green smooth, Gold smooth and Blue smooth. Gary

4. bird

bird TS Member

Crow Shooting Supply in Iowa has them in 12ga light 8's and 3dr. 7.5. You can contact them at 641-522-7255.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It's a funny thing.. It must be a geographic thing. Those blue Peters have been for sale here since the 80's back when they were the actual blue magic's. They never stopped selling them here. They just changed the grade of shot they put in them and used a little diffrent wad. Lots of guys used to use them for second shot of doubles as they were/ are a really fast 3 dram 7 1/2 load. Tuff shooters used them for both shots! They used to be a cheaper shell. 3.99 a box when AA and STS were 4.59 a box regular price. Jeff

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

six bucks a box here in Utah. Available at Sportsman's warehouse. GaryL.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

May be a regional thing...I have never seen one..lol..

8. kd185

kd185 Member

the old blue magics are my favorite hull to reload with
    havent seen a new one in a decade or 2 here in new england

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There was a run made for big box stores with a generic box that was marked "Remington-UMC". These had Cheddite hulls, look for the stars on the case head.

We saw a few locally a while back. They work well.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The old Blue Magic hulls had a bad habit of seperating from the base. The plastic would then get caught in the barrel and its hell getting it out.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Remington-Peters Blue we see in our area are made out of a plastic like the Remington Premiers were. The first ones actually had brass heads,Figure 8 wads and some of the nicest and hardest shot I have seen. They have since gone to brass cover steel and the old Power-Piston wad but the hull is still the slick plastic like the Premiers and they load very well and very long. I have only been able to find them in 3 dram heavy and they are Stout.

I started shooting them because Joe Ljutic told me they were the best kept secret in the shell business. For some time he was right. Did I mention Stout!

Ajax

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They used to be on sale dirt cheap here in the 80s and 90s. They weren't as popular as regular Rem, Win and other shells. We'd stock up and blast varmints with them. Still have a box or two somewhere in the garage. We were shooting #6 shot. The other cheap shell we liked were the plastic hull Fiocchis with the steel base inserted inside the plastic. A lot of shooters did not want something that "radical" so we got them cheap on sale when they wouldn't move.

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Are you sure they weren't Active with the steel rim inside the head? They are great for game shooter. Big case, lots of room. They did come apart like the Blue Magic and the older Gold Medals, right above the head. Hard to take out of the barrel.

Ajax

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

jhoward,

They load the same as STS's. I purchased 25 flats two years ago when Gander Mountain had them on closeout. ($42/flat or so) A good shell.

They are running $7/box now at the same store. That is way too much.

Don Verna

15. jhoward

jhoward Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep an eye on them and try to catch them on sale, would be nice to have 3 colors of Remington hulls to use for various loads.

16. dhg

dhg TS Member

This hull will outlast the sts or nitro

17. bill4807

bill4807 Member

FWIW a buddy gave me ~1000 primed Blue Magic shells; guess I'd better get to the bench!

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"This hull will outlast the sts or nitro" - If it doesn't burn-off and zing.

I won't last the Premier.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Peters usually was just a blue version of the Remington hulls. I have green and Blue RXP hulls. Green are Remington. Blue are Peters. Same hull, just a different color. The Peters I saw more recently were the same as the STS hull, except for the color. Bought a couple of flats when they had them. Don't know much about the Blue Magics. Had a bunch of once fired. Loaded them and tossed them for doubles. Easy to identify by color. Never once had a failure as described, but never loaded them more than one or two times.

20. kd185

kd185 Member

i never had one come apart
    maybe im doing something wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are rp blue magic hulls the same as sts hulls
peters blue hulls vs sts
peters shotgun hulls for sale

reloading remington rxp hulls

remington green light hulls