1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington/Peters All American Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

A friend has a bunch of these and was looking for loading info. Are they similar to anything being made now? What wad was used in them?

thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Load 'em with current Remington data. The Remington RXP wad works great in them if you can find any. However, my go-to wad for Remington hulls is the DownRange Fig8(DRRF8).

3. sts1100

sts1100 Member

I believe the Rem. All American hulls had a high base wad and take a short wad.

4. grntitan

sts1100,

You are absolutely 100% right. I was thinking of the RXP hulls. The Remington All American does have a higher base wad. My measurements show approximately 0.261 difference in the base wad between the RXP's and the All American Hulls. My mistake and please disregard above info.
    [​IMG]

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Beyond that Matt, some of those base wads were known to come loose at times. They were great to load and shoot but be carefull. I think they used to have a red wad??

6. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

You can find some data for All-American hulls in the Lyman #1 book. I'm sure someone on here has the #1 and can photocopy the pages for you. You need a short wad, most of these have been discontinued. The Claybuster clone of the WAA12 Red can probably be used for 1 1/8 oz loads using bulky powders like RedDot or 700-X.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

If you can find some old windjammer data we used to load them with 1oz of shot and red dot powder with the regular windjammer wad but I don't remember the recipe,I was thinking we used a different primer than a 209 though like a remington *97 maybe .Jerry

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

The original Remington wad for the All-American hulls was the Power-Piston 23694. The 23694 wad later was designated the RPA-12. Old literature shows it was intended for use in the All-American hull. The OAL is 1.410" and the shotcup is 0.785" .......Rick

9. grntitan

I happen to have a full bag of the old Remington Power Piston Wads in my collection of old loading components(wife says junk). Unfortunately they are 1 1/4oz wads or fortunately depending on your use.
    [​IMG]

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

wlc, someone mentioned primer above as being smaller. They were right as it was the 97 size. I seem them turn up periodically at gun shows.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Be careful shooting these as the base cups are known to lodge in the Bbl, this was common on the All American Hull.

Gary

12. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Remington 97* primers are 209 size. The Remington 57* is the small primer. The All American case used a 209 size primer. This is the case being discussed.

[​IMG]

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The 97 primer is the same size as the 209--It is the "57" primer that is smaller in diam.

14. wlc

wlc Member

Lots of good information. I'm going to suggest that he not use them, he's fairly new to reloading and doesn't need the extra concerns.

Thanks very much.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

wic, That's a judgement call, they were a great loading and comfortable shell with the right components, all of which are still available today. There are certain precautions to be followed as with all reloading. The STS's of today are still the shell of choice with no inherent danger from the hull. JMO, Good luck and enjoy, Bob

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I remember as a kid the primer area being pushed inward via use of 209 size primers vetsus use of Rem. 97's. Don't remember particulars 40 plus years later. I do remember we had both Fed. and Alcan primers on hand. The later of course could explain aforementioned issue.

Maybe I'll have to dig out some hulls n play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
all american hull data
reloading remington all american hulls

reloading remington peters

rem all american hull data
remington all american hulls

remington all american hulls reloading data

remington rxp hulls
what wad works best in peters remington shell