1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Peerless?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redhawk44, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Do any of you fellers know the story on the Remington Peerless O/U shotgun?

Good gun? Lousey gun? Can't get parts? What?

Thanks

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It was an effort by Remington to produce a cheap O/U that couldn't compete with it's foreign competition. An "OK" field gun (YES, I did own one of the first) but in no way intended for target shooting. Very soft receiver metal and expect it to shoot loose quickly and stock and forearm to crack if you use it for the target sports. They also produced the "396" which was offered in Skeet and Sporting (ported) configuration. Basically just a dressed up Peerless that suffered the same mechanical whoes. This gun was followed by the "300 Ideal" which was quite a bit better, but still not a very good value. The 300 was reworked as the "332" which was a bit of a dressed up 300.

NONE of these guns sold very well at all being that they were very poor values compared to their foreign competitors.

JMHO!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No disrespect to Tron as I respect his opinion highly - I own a Peerless 12 ga 28" and used it for 15 years pheasant hunting and sporting clays. It has very nice wood and metal finish work ( better than my 3200 1 1000 )It has never gotten loose and looks and works as well as it did when it was new. I would not sell mine as I like it a lot. It has served me well and I expect it to until I die. I think they are very under rated at $800 - $1000

4. Bud Johnson

Bud Johnson Member

I have owned a number of Peerlesses (oh well) and still own one. I also owned two 396 Sporting Clay models. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have lots of experience with these guns and I don't want to step on anyones toes, but I put many thousand rounds through these guns with never a hiccup. I got one of the first 396's that came out and it was still going strong after 20K rounds. I presently have an almost new Peerless that I just keep around. I used my guns for a steady diet of Sporting Clays and hence get shot a lot... Never a hiccup.

Once again, I never had one problem with any of the Peerless designs. Yes, the 396 was a dressed up Peerless, but handled great and shot great. Too bad the longest barrels were 30 inch.

I hate to disagree about the 300 Ideal and the 332, but I do not feel that either hold a candle to the Peerless. Yes, I did try them all.

Best regards

Bud Johnson

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Here's the full, long and boring story of mine;

I had one that I bought new in 1995.

They were made from 1993 to 1999, as you may know and I don't believe that large quantities were produced.

They were made by more "modern" methods than something like the Browning Citori which is more traditional in its manufacture. This does not appeal to some shooters.

There have been wear issues reported with the cocking rods or their camming surfaces.

They have false side plates, a feature I don't care for.

I have shot trap for 39 years but I have had a few years, off and on, when I have shot skeet during this time.

I was shooting in a skeet league in the mid 1990's, I was shooting my 870SA quite successfully in the league but I thought I'd try an o/u. (I did take HOA in the 1995 winter league which had approx. 150 shooters, with my Peerless )

I understood that the way Peerless was made and could accept that, I ignored the false sideplates because for the cost the gun had the following features;

1.) Stock dimensions were the same as an 11-87SC Sporting Clays, this came at field gun prices. To get any other o/u with sporting clays dimensions, that I would care to buy would cost 1 1/2 to twice as much; I was not prepared to incur a higher cost for a "winter league" gun. The Peerless simply fit me like it was custom made for me, right out of the box; this could not be improved on.

2.) Fore end latch adjustment, if the fore end latch on a lot of o/u's loosens, it is a gunsmith job, the Peerless has an allen key adjustment for this.

3.) Owner replaceable hinge pins.

4.) Ejectors can be switched to extractors by the owner.

5.) Trigger action is somewhat better than both Citori trap guns I have owned.

6.) Safety can be set to; automatic (not for me), manual or locked off to fire one, selected barrel 1st. I have mine set as a manual, selective safety.

I had 15,000 or so rounds through mine without problems, not a lot for a target gun but more than most hunters would ever shoot through one.

I did trade mine off in April 2007 to purchase a new 12g, 28" Citori Grade I Lightning.

I did this because I was concerned about parts and service over the long run if the gun was shot a lot more. No one stocks the parts for this relatively uncommon model, here.

I also wanted to trade it off and at least recover some value from it since IMHO, the more years that go by, the more it will become one of those obscure models that are tough to sell (if it is not there now).

IMHO for occassional hunting use, they should be just fine.

6. k newman

k newman TS Member

after reading the reviews, if you're looking for one, I have a post further down - NIB

7. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Its all about how the person behind the gun likes it and how it feels to crush birds.

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

OK, I think I see the picture, so how does 900 sound for an as new Peerless?

Oh, and BTW....thanks for your interest and your input.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Redhawk is right on the money

10. snow

snow TS Member

I am a Peerless owner. I bought the gun when I returned to trap shooting in the mid 90's. The Remington representative convinced me it was a great gun to shoot all clay games. My first problem was that the gun opened when I shot a handicap load in the bottom barrel. That was the first of many, many failures. I do agree the Peerless is fine for very limited volume shooting. My friends still kid me about all the repairs needed. Once when shooting doves a screw from the false plates went flying and hit my friend. No damage was done to his hand. I keep the Peerless by my front door to protect my dog when she goes outside to do her business. That's all it good for these days.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There were some good design features on the peerless- I would rate them above the 300 and the 332

They have better receivers than a 3200 and certainly better safetys and some internals are better made than a 3200 but the peerless is not an ideal design by any means and problems do abound and Remington didnt stand behind them the way they should have--- I have included the 396 in with the peerless

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gene, normally I agree with your posting regarding OU's....EXCEPT for this one. Better safety? Oh yeah, I love how my Peerlesses safety gouged deep grooves in the receiver tang and I absolutely appreciated the way it sort of flopped around in the breeze. Now, look at the 300 or 332....BIG improvement. The 3200 was the best of the lot in the guns that you mention, no doubt about that.

Mine was complete junk after just under 20,000 rounds. I've seen many like or even worse than the one that I had. Just too soft of receiver metal.

But hey, if you guys like this gun and shoot it well, go with it!

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont really disagree with you Tron-- I know it looks like it--

I think the quality control in the peerless sucked and there were hand adjustments that had to be made-- but the design itself wasnt bad- it had between the barrel lockup-- an improvement over the lockups on the 300 and 332

it had better internals than a 3200-- and the receiver isnt as soft-- yea the 3200 has better barrels and I liked the top latching on a 3200 but I remember even when they were being made- the line of guys standing in front of the Remington trailer for repairs would always be long- even at lordship

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- I gave the remington people grief over my friends 396 which had just 1500 shells through it and had lockup issues--- and they wouldnt budge

on the other side of the coin I know a guy that used a peerless for trap and he had over 100,000 shells through it and no rebuild needed as of that time

14. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I hunted with a friends peerless a couple of times. It felt great but frequently was a single shot. By the time he had got it worked on enough to consistently go bang-bang he had lost faith in it. It had a few other issues along the besides being a single shot. It is nothing but a dust collector now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington peerless

remington peerless field
remington peerless field over under
remington peerless field review
remington peerless over under
remington peerless parts
remington peerless review
remington peerless shotgun