1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington opinions needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bubby, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubby

Bubby TS Member

I am thinking about buying my Grandson an 1100 410 classic. Does anyone have any experience with them? It has the Rem. choke, any issues?

Thanks for replies,
    Bubby

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think the 28 would be easier to hit things with-- might reconsider

regards

Gene

3. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

The 1100 is a sweet little gun, i got a 410 O/U that i am considering trading in for one.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bubby,

I echo the others opinions. A .410, although almost completely devoid of recoil, is a gun for experts. It leaves no margin for error.

The 1100 youth model in 20 gauge, if shot with light load target shells, has pretty light recoil and has enough of a pattern that a beginner can be successful.

And as others have noted, a longer stock and a longer barrel when he grows enough, and this gun could be a lifetime investment.

Great to hear folks getting youngsters into the shooting and hunting sports, and I applaud you for that. If you have access to a remote control target thrower and land, take the youngester out to a friendly farmer's field and have the machine set up to throw incomers that "hover" about 10 yards out from where he's standing and let him blast away, right where the target stalls out. Nothing better for a young shooter than success.

You might want to get that .410 for yourself! I'd love to have an 1100 in .410! Great skeet gun.

Tim

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bubby, you will be pleased with the m1100 Remington but stay away from the .410 because it really is for the advanced shooter. The 20 gauge will be a lot easier for your grandson to learn with and you will be able to get a huge variety of ammo at reasonable prices.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Go with a good condition 20ga. If you find a good condition regular stocked one just purchase a separate youth stock till he out grows it.

Cant beat a good Remington 1100 in any gauge but the 20ga and the 12ga are the most affordable by about 1/2 the price of others to shoot.

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

Most of the responses above are correct, but I've done it a bit differently. I have a 3 year old grandson and I want to be sure he has to "tools" to learn to shoot. Of course he doesn't know yet - or care - but for semi's I've set him up with Remington 1100's in .410, 28 and 20 gauge and a 12 gauge SX-2. Most recently, his RBL has just come in. Of course I'll take it for a few spins to check it out. Remington's can be bought in quite good condition pretty reasonably. In fact the 20 gauge was bought new at WalMart for about the same price you will pay for a used one. I have a youth sized stock that will fit the three 1100's.

When he's ready, I may or may not be around, but my plan is to have him first learn to shoot the 28 gauge, followed by the 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce loads then the 12 gauge with 7/8 ounce loads. I didn't buy the SX-2 until I had tried one with some of my light (1100 - 1150 fps) 7/8 loads. It works fine with them. The RBL is for later on. He will get it with an engraved plaque. I'm lucky in that my daughter shoots some and is on board with getting him properly trained. The .410 will be used as a fun gun.

I'm a little sensitive to how to start a youngster in shotgunning since I was wrongly introduced to shotgun shooting. At the age of 9 I was handed a 12 gauge M12 and told to shoot the 100 target Junior program at a state trapshoot. I got beat up pretty badly, but did score OK. That was my first experience of shooting any kind of shotgun, but I had been shooting a BB gun for six years by then.

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I'm a Remington man from way back, been shooting an 1100 for 45 years, and I agree with the majority responses here. I have 1100's for my two Grandsons. They started shooting at the age of five, with airguns and .22's. They both got their shotgun's at the age of 10, youth model 1100's in 20 ga.

I purchased a MEC 9000G to reload and have been loading a 3/4 oz. 1150 speed 20 ga. shell for them for three years. My, soon to be 14 year old, grandson just graduated to an 1100CT, which we cut LOP to 14". A spacer will let it grow with him. I now load a 7/8 oz. 12 load for him, and me. The boys can average 20+ with those 3/4 oz. loads, so it's very rewarding for them, and surprising for the old farts on the line with them, too.

Hard to beat an 1100 in all-around value, but a .410 is far too limited in the hands of a beginner.

IMHO,
    Kip

9. oz

oz Active Member

shoot the 410 first. my wife started on an 1100 410 and it kicked the hell out of her. she tried a 12 gauge and bought a 12 gauge O/U by the way and never looked back. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.