1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Oil Bulk Or Equvalent

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Is Remington avalible in a gallon, or what equivalent to it?
    Thanks
    Railroad

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I wish I could remember the name of the company that furnished the Rem Oil to Remington. They were on the east coast.

While I was at Kolar Arms (maybe give them a shout..ask for Bruce Gillette), we were getting a case of four gallons. The only difference between the actual Rem Oil and what we were buying is that it did not include the..1/10 of 1% teflon. The fella I spoke to said that any product containing teflon had a shelf-life of one month. After one month, what little teflon was in the product would settle to the bottom and stick to the can.

Kolar's number is 262-554-0800 or 262-554-6900.

Doug

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If nothing sticks to teflon , how does it stick to the can ? Jeff

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I got some break free I use to clean my barrels in between major cleaning, but unable to find it bulk localy.
    Thanks. Still like the Rem oil on the out side and inards.
    Railroad

5. 3357

3357 Member

I read somewhere that for teflon to be effective it needed to be applied under a lot of heat and as a solid coating, as an additive to oil it is supposedly marginaly effective at best. Having said that I do like and use Rem-oil myself.

Before somebody gets mad and accuses me of being negative please know that while I cannot site the source for the article it was part of a written piece addressing the health risk of teflon cook ware a few years back and that over heating the pans caused the teflon coating to mix with food etc.

Again I like and continue to use Rem-oil.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... while I cannot site the source for the article it was part of a written piece addressing the health risk of teflon cook ware a few years back and that over heating the pans caused the teflon coating to mix with food etc."</blockquote>

That citation isn't hard to locate; it's been around the net in one form or another for years:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2003/2003-05-16-10.asp

For cleaning bores and for general lubrication, try using Marvel Mystery Oil. It's an excellent carbon solvent and has a tenacious affinity for steel.

Lister

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Does MM oil affect wood finishes?
    Thanks
    Railroad

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Does MM oil affect wood finishes?"</blockquote>

I won't hazard a guess because the finishes on our guns are the catalyzed type... nothing appears to attack them. We also take the precaution of putting finish on the raw wood inside the stocks when the guns are new to reduce oil absorption into the wood. We don't use oil for rust prevention either; we use either "Fluid Film", "Barricade" (Sheath) or "RIG". But we have seen no evidence of a reaction between MMO and the stocks.

Carol Lister

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

My Dad came home with a gallon of sewing machine oil one time and I think it only lasted us for thirty years of cleaning guns. Very high quality oil. Dan

10. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I use Ed's Red for cleaning and general use. You can mix your own.

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

Enjoy.

11. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

12. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Called a couple oil dealers today, they are checking to see what they can find out. I've seen websites say molile 1 car oil, and also Royal Purple makes a gun oil spray, but haven't heard back from them if they have it in gallons. The marvel mystery oil has been doing great to clean the barrel bore.Unable to find any Remington oil in bottles at 3 walmarts, just spay cans.
    Plenty of rain here in eastern NC.
    Railroad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bulk rem oil

bulk remmington oil
gallon rem oil
kolar arms rem oil
one gallon of remington rem oil
rem oil by gallon
rem oil equivalent