1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Nylon 66

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by concordefamily, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Has anybody on here owned/shot a Nylon 66? If so what are your opinions. My local Gun Store has one, pretty nice, no rust, etc. on sale for $275. Like other guns, this has somewhat of a "cult following" and I'd like to know what some of the fascinations are.

With the higher costs of shooting Trap I have been occasionally opting out for shooting the .22 at the local gun range.

thanks, Matt

2. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Had a few of em. They are indestructable and easy to R & R. Price sounds a little high... Think I paid $66 bux for one new [70's]. Many a rabbit... jk.

I traded an old LP turntable [that didnt work right] for one once that a guy had dissasembled and couldn't put back together. He gave me all the pieces and parts in a bucket! So in a just a few minutes I cleaned every part and reassembled. Test fired it from the living room couch in the house I was living in Rangely, CO picking off flies on the windowsill. LOL! What a blast...

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've owned several over the years, There a great little
    rifle. They can take a real pounding and still keep shooting.
    I word of caution. Don't ever totally disassemble one.
    They are a bear to get back together.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Perfect TEOTWAWKI firearm.

5. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

There are better 22s to spend $275.00 on, way overpriced as far as i am concerned.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For that money try and find a good used or even new Ruger 10/22. They are one of the best little .22's money can buy.

7. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Whizbang needs to see this & reply.He knows a little about them.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I had one I shot the heck out of as a kid, the barrel came loose from the reciever. I scrapped it.

9. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

They are great guns. I bought one new in the '60's for $69.95 and I still have it. At the time, the guy at the feed store just had me sign my name in his loose leaf notebook and I walked out the door with it. Those were good times back then.

10. Slugo

Slugo Member

Ruger 10/22 hands down. Less than $200 bucks at most any sporting goods store. I wouldn't give ya' $50 for the plastic Remington...

11. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

PM sent

12. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

You are being jerked on the price. I have two of them. Nice rifles,HOWEVER,I have two Ruger 10/22's. The Ruger by far is the better rifle & in this case a lot cheaper. If you want a plinker get the 10/22. If you want to have terrific out of the box accuracy,buy a Savage bolt action with accutrigger.
    Joe Jordan

13. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You're right on the cult following, some Nylon 66's are highly sought after by collectors, a status that the Ruger 10/22 will probably not enjoy soon.

Robert

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

Hah! A friend disassembled his and couldn't get it together again. He gave me the parts in a Mason jar and I got it together proper.

Enough bragging. The 66s have a reputation as a durable gun, but as others have indicated, the current standard of accuracy and dependability is the Ruger 10-22. Beyond that, there's a whole universe of aftermarket upgrades available for the 10-22, something you can't say for any other semi-auto rifle.

15. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

I love the Ruger 10/22 and came close to getting a NEW IN BOX one 2 weeks ago at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show for $209.

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

the Barrel came Loose?

Geez!!! just tighten the screw on the bottom of the stock, that is what holds it in!

Al

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The Nylon 66 is like the Edsel... so bad it became collectible.

-Gary

18. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

To show that I am older than dirt, when the Nylon 66 first came out Remington ran an ad where one of their shooters fired at and hit something like 7,000 blocks of wood thrown in the air. Don't hold me to the exact number of blocks,but I am close to what was actually shot at & hit without a miss. My Nylon's have kept on ticking without a hiccup after all these years.
    I repeat for fun get the Ruger,although the Nylon 66 is a fine rifle,for accuracy get the Savage with the accutrigger.
    I hope everyone has a happy Easter & remembers the true meaning of Easter. No,it's not the Easter Bunny. :)
    Joe Jordan

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

In Southeastern Indiana, a lot of guys like them for coon hunting, because they are light, durable, affected little by moisture and briars don't scratch them up too bad. It seems like most of the Nylon 66's go for about $250 to $300 around here. That seems high to me, but they bring that kind of money. Some bring more depending on the color, I think they made them in brown, dark green (called Mohawk maybe?) and black (called Apache maybe?).

Hope this helps, John

20. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Yes, the dark green Seneca (sp?) is the rarest one. Two weeks ago at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show I saw 12-13 of the Brown Mohawks, 2 Black Apaches and 1 of the Seneca (sp?) Green. It was in Good Condition and he would not take a dime less than $650 CASH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
most sought after nylon 66
remington nylon 66
remington nylon 66 for sale in maine
remington nylon 66 for sale mn

remington nylon 66 trap gun

shoot remington nylon 66 or save it
should i shoot my remington nylon 66