1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remington Nylon 66 - Anyone here have one ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I've just found a nice 22LR Remington Nylon 66. It's in pretty good shape after a thorough cleaning. This one bears no serial number so it was made pre-1969. It was locked away in a closet.

I've read articles by some who say they never cleaned their Nylon and it never failed them. I'm not that guy. What I am wondering is if any owners here have had to replace any parts, especially springs ?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  2. m12superx1

m12superx1 TS Member

Put about 5000 rounds thru one and never cleaned it. You should be very happy with the rifle, they just keep running with no upkeep and very accurate too. Curt Lovejoy Sandwich IL
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My dad has one that he bought when you could buy them new. Probably about due for its first cleaning, no clue how many bricks of ammo have been down the barrel.
  4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Great gun. Accurate but lousy trigger. Run forever.
  5. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

Gene, I just looked in my safe and found my nylon 66 mowhawk, less then a box of shell thru it. I got it from an old gentleman who bought it new from our club in sandwich in 73, shot less then a box of shell thru it and he had me send it back to the factory because of a warped stock. when it came back i bought it off of him and never shot it. The black stocks gave them a lot of problems. After setting for a few years in my safe without using it I sent it back to them for a new stock again, same problem. The last time they inletted the stock and but a light steel shim to keep the stock from warping. I guess it worked because it still ok now. Will try shooting it some time this week.

PS I am the guy who bought your warwick case from you a short time ago. Your a great guy to deal with.... Al Maly
  6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

All these guys from Sandwich, IL. Do you still have a club out there in Sandwich?
  7. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

I've owned several over the years. Kick myself for selling them now. Seems they have doubled in value in recient years. Anyway, great guns but one of the MOST DIFFICULT to disassemble and clean. ( Assuming you want to get it back togeather again.) That said, a good squirt of gun scrubber in the action now and then is all that you will need to keep it running.

Interesting side note on these guns that few know. If you lay it on it's left side, bolt recess side up, and then drop a round onto the bolt, you can cycle the action via the bolt handle, and it will load that round every time. ( Inside of the reciever is shaped to guide the round to the chamber like a sled.) This unique feature along with it's ruggedness,makes it a great behind the door gun for occasional pest control.
    hth
  8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

they will function flawlessly. their accuracy is not as good as the speedmaster. ours seemed to like dyna points over remington golden bullets.
  9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

To find the Year any Remington gun was made look on the left side of the barrel were the receiver meets. On a nylon 66 there will be two letters just above the nylon stock close to the receiver cover were the front site is mounted. First letter is the month second letter is the year. Post those letters and I can tell you when your gun was made. There is a video on you tube on how to maintain a 66. These guns can be a real head ache if you don't no what your doing.

Collecting Remington Nylon rifles went from childs play to very serious the last few years. With one model bringing bringing over $9000.00 to serious collectors. I have collected Remington Nylons for a while and have every cataloged gun produced and duplicates unfired in the box except for the model 66AB Gallery special.

Looking to buy Remington Nylon model 10 single shot Bolt action with 24 inch barrel smooth bore.
  10. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

The one I have is a MOHAWK 10 C Henry
  11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Mine says PP 40. I think that's a 1968 or 1969 manufactured firearm.
    Nothing special about this one - I understand they made a lot of these with the brown stock. BTW, how would I polish it ?

Thanks for the input.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS They also shoot the sub-sonic rounds. Have to cycle the action manually, but that's OK.
  12. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Does anyone remember the Nylon 77?
  13. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

Gene The first P is June next P is 1967. As far as polishing goes you could try a light rubbing compound. Any thing heavy you chance taking the shine out of it.If you have scratches you want to remove use pumice. But you will lose the shine.

Go to a web sight called NylonRifles.com. There you might find a better way to polish.

MDMike The first variation of the model 77 was a Mohawk Brown with a 5 round box magazine. Made only in 1970-1971. Replaced by the model 10C with a 10 round box magazine. Model 77 Apache That was marketed by K Mart. Featured a bright green stock with some orange swirls. Often confused with the model 66 Seneca Green. The metal had a buff finish in two variations.
  14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Pity Cerberus has not figured out that Remington would sell a crap ton of these if they put it back into production instead of their current abortion.
  15. timb99

timb99 Active Member

I have a Nylon 66 and an Apache 77 (the K-Mart version with the green stock.)

Neither are particularly collectible.

Technically, the Apache 77 belongs to my daughter since I originally bought it to get her started shooting.

The 66 I bought used from a guy and it will get a rebluing once I get back to the USA, then will sit patiently and wait for a grandkid.

I have, at times, put scopes on them to see how they group. I agree with what the others have said. Accurate, but the triggers kind of stink.

The other problem with using a scope on one of these guns is the scope attaches to a dovetail on the sheet metal receiver, and the receiver is not attached to the barrel. You have to re-adjust the zero about every time you take it out to shoot.

But they are cool looking, and are fun plinkers.
  16. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I have three of those beauties they never have failed but i do clean then something my DAD insisted on with all our Guns ! I have two daughters and if we go plinking they LOVE them ! Enjoy Your Find !
  17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What is the value of the chrome version with a black stock?

GneJ
  18. Garry

Garry Member

I liked mine but sold my because it because of the trigger. I replaced it with a Rugger 10/22.

After reading this thread it made me wonder if a competent gunsmith could rework the trigger and make it significantly better.
  19. SCL

SCL Member

I had one as a kid. Got it used from my local dealer when I was 15 or so. SHot it til it wouldn't function any longer. Cleaned periodically, but during its final cleaning when it wouldn't function, some wild looking things came out of it. Traded it in on a 10/22. Bought it for $50. Got $25 in trade as/is. That was 30 some years ago. I bet I put 10K rounds through that thing.

cott
  20. Chichay

Chichay Active Member

Wanted one as a kid, but my father bought me a Browning semi-auto takedown instead. Finally bought the Mohawk brown version when I became eligible to buy one. Both fun rifles to plink with.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.