1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington No. 97 Primers??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stokinpls, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Never seen any 97*s before. Have some old 57s laying around, but nothing they'll fit in.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Quote from Shotgunworld:
    "The 97* primer is 209 size (.244") BUT it has an open flash hole. If you look at the primer the hole where the "spark" flashes to the powder charge it is open. Primers these days are sealed with a small paper disc or sealed with a covering. This open hole caused troubles when certain powders were used with the 97* primers. Fine grained ball type powders migrated into the primer opening some times causing pressure problems inside the primer cup upon firing, bulging primers or blowing them. The 97* primer should only be used with large flake type powders like 700X, Red Dot etc. The 97* primer was a target grade primer, mild and was competitive to the Winchester 209 or CCI 209 Trap & Skeet of the day. My old Hercules manuel of 1972 shows loads with the 97* similar for that of the Win 209 with Red Dot. I just happened on to some 97* primers myself. They were a good primer in their day just be sure to use a flake type powder if you decide to use them."

3. WCW4269

WCW4269 Member

57's were the smaller ones. I still have a couple of thousand of them left and use the 97's for 28 gauge and 410's. The last 97's they made I believe were in green and orange boxes. The 97's mike .2405" and the Rem STS's mike .241"
    Bill W.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook on page 45 states the Rem 97* are interchangeable with the Remington 209P primer.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook on page 45 states the Rem 97* are interchangeable with the Remington 209P primer.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

And what were 69's for?

thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 97 primer pruduction dates
97 primer

remington 97 primer

remington 97 primers

remington no 97 primers