1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Nitro's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick in Ohio, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Remington Nitro

Hey is there anyone out there that knows what kind of powder Remington puts in the Nitro 27's and the Sporting Clays shell?

I was thinking it was long shot and it sounds like long shot but I cut one a part this morning and it don't look like long shot powder that in them.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It's a proprietary powder that you can't buy. And they are two different loads. The 27 is 1235 fps. The Sporting is 1300 fps.

If you use Alliant, Green Dot Would make a good 1235 load, and Unique a good 1310 load.

Hodgdon has more powders to choose from for 1235, and a few for 1300.

Wayne

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use 18.2 of Titegroup and a TGT wad. We have about 10 guys using this load in our league and they love it.

HM

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The factories use bulk lot powders. These are so different from lot to lot that they have to have a ballistics lab to develop loads, and often have to alter case length to get the load to fit.

I have been sorting 20 ga Remington hulls, and I am sorting them by length as well as crimp style. I have sorted them into at least THREE different lengths. The difference in the longest and shortest will require an adjustment to my press.

I am such a hull vulture that I will not discard these oddballs, but will load them. After all, all modern Remmie hulls are one-piece compression-formed hulls.

Canister powders, that we buy at the gun shop, are so consistent that most powders that are old may be used with the same data and powder bushings we get today.

If you want to duplicate a factory load, there are canister powders out there that will let you do it.

Titegroup, American Select, Green Dot, Unique, Intl' Clays, Univ Clays, etc.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Like Wayne said, for the Nitro 27's anyway, it's a proprietary powder that you can't buy.

But it is very, very similar in properties to Hodgdon Titegroup.

If you use Remington primers and a Remington TGT-12s wad (or the Downrange equivalent), and good, Remington STS shot, you can duplicate the factory load with 18.2 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup, like halfmile said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.