1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Mystery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootman, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootman

shootman TS Member

can anyone tell me the difference between a rem. mod.1100 trap classic and a mod.1187premerie trap I know the barrels are not interchangeable but is there any other difference

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a 1978 1100TB and a 1187 11/87 Premier trap. Each has a 30 " barrel. The 11/87 has a stainless steel magazine tube, different fore-end, larger extractor, over-bored barrel and rem chokes. The 1100 is fixed full choke.

The 11/87 is heavier and swings a little slower. Each has a step rib and the stock on the 11/87 has a different grip cap and is slightly thinner where it enters the receiver.

The newer 1100 Tournament Traps that I have handled are significantly lighter.

The 11/87 has larger gas ports, is not pressure compensated and is limited to target grade ammunition with a 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 load as maximum. The 1100 can handle heavier loads but I have not gone higher than 3 3/4 - 1 1/4 for games. Each gun really likes a 1 oz load at 1180 fps.

The 11/87 has beautifully figured wood, with the same satin finish as the 3200 Competition Trap and cut checkering. The 1100 also has beautifully figured wood, pressed checkering and Remington's glossy polycarbonate finish.

New, the 1100 TB Trap was $252 and the 11/87 Premier was about $450.

Both are great guns.

Ed Ward

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

11-87 extractor is wider, so the slot in the barrel is different. Can't interchange barrels without some machining.

around here 1100s of all types hold their value as good or better than the newer 1187's.

HM

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The Remington 1100 Classic Trap, in addition to the gold eagle, uses a Light Contour barrel with Remchokes and a flat rib. jm

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Classic 1100 Trap is an 1100 with a few of the 11-87 features. The one major difference is the extractor. The older 1100 is thinner than the new 1100 Classic and 11-87. Many parts will interchange. Barrels usually will not. Even the older 1100 barrels would need the extractor slot modified to fit the Classic. You could also swap out the bolt and/or extractor.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The guys above have pretty much nailed it.<br>
    <br>
    If you are looking at this from the viewpoint of which you should purchase for trap use, my personal preference is in this order:<br>
    <br>
    1187 Trap with factory back bored step rib barrel with screw in choke tubes. These usually have nice stocks with cut checkering. You can also add a 28" light contour barrel and use it for sporting clays (the trap barrel, because it already has a built in constriction, will not pattern more open than modified, and it's on the heavy side for sporting clays). A 26" skeet barrel will work too, but skeet barrels are getting to be passe' for sporting clays. Most prefer a longer barrel. I'm of the opinion that the 1187 is a bit softer shooting than a factory 1100 trap.<br>
    <br>
    An older 1100 trap. I don't care for the pressed checkering, but these are good guns. Most will have a fixed full choke, and these are good barrels. Just make sure the gun hasn't been shot to death.<br>
    <br>
    An 1100 Magnum. Then add a trap barrel and sell the magnum barrel. The magnum model uses a heavier action sleeve than the 1100 non-magnum models (or the 1187 for that matter) and this provides more recoil dampening. These conversions are probably the softest shooting. But you'll have to get a trap barrel and a trap (or monte carlo slug gun) buttstock. It's worth the hassle, though.<br>
    <br>
    The 1100 Classic Trap. As noted, these are basically an 1100 with updated 1187 parts. Older 1100 barrels will not fit these guns unless the extractor slot is widened a bit on both sides. This is not a difficult task to do. Anyone with half a brain can do it carefully with a file. The 1100 Classic Trap uses the 1187 bolt with its wider extractor. The issue with this gun is not with the 1187 parts, but that the blueing is thin and doesn't last as long as the earlier guns, especially the earlier 1100s, and the internal machining is rougher. The stocks, though, tend to be decently figured wood, and have cut checkering.<br>
    <br>
    I would be happy to own any of the above. But that is my order of preference.<br>
    <br>
    As for interchanging 1100 and 1187 barrels, I use to state, contrary to Remington, that this can be done. However, enough evidence has come to light that the true picture is that it can USUALLY be done, but there are times when it will not. Thus, if you own 1100s and 1187s, feel free to try to swap barrels (and forends). But if you are shopping for a barrel, don't roll the dice. Get the same model barrel as your gun.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, speaking of barrels, the Hastings high rib trap barrel is a good barrel. SOME of them may need the extractor slot widened, particularly the older ones, to fit the late model extractors. If you wanted to build a trap gun out of a plain 1100 or 1100 Magnum this is a viable alternative to a Remington barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington classic trap 1187

will the barrel off a 1979 rem 1100 fit on the new 1100 classics or sporting