1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Model 8 - 30 Remington - Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

This gun in 30 Remington caliber has been in our family forever. It's in very good condition with a little surface rust and a small crack in the stock where the wood meets the tang on top of the gun. Mechanically it is like new and operates and fires like new. I believe it has been shot very little.

Questions:

1. What is the approx. value of this gun?

2. Would it hurt the value much to drill and tap it for a pistol type scope?

3. Are new shells available in 30 Remington? From what source?

4. Where would I find ballistics info?

Some years ago, a Federal Rep had Remington make me a case of 170 grain 30 Rem. shells. I'd especially like to have ballistics info for this shell and bullet weight.

Thanks,

milt

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

its an equivilant to a 30/30 but without the rim

it was a series of 25 Rem, 30 Rem, 35 Rem

you can shoot it no problem- and those have killed a lot of deer

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Don't drill and tap. Don't modify in any way, shape or form. If you want to hold value, leave it alone mechanically and aesthetically. Shoot it if you want. They are great guns, heavy but fairly accurate. As mentioned above, ballistically identical to the 30-30. In fact, old loading manuals used the exact same data for both. You'll get about the same accuracy with open sights as you would with a pistol scope on these (although I do find that with my aging eyes, scopes give me a little improvement).

A quick view on Gunbroker.com, Auctionarms.com and the blue book will give you a ballpark figure...but here again, the value in the "books" will reflect retail. That is what you might expect to get if you sold it on the open market. If you go to a dealer to sell, or trade, expect about 50% of book value.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Values as listed in the current Blue Book are , 100% $700, 98%- $600 , 95%- $500, 90%- $400 , 80%- $300 , 70%-$200 and 60%- $150. Jeff

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

SOG, in Ohio has the 30 Rem ammo at $39.95 a box. Gene, are you sure that series of Remington cal. was not 25, 30, 32, and 35Rem.? I have all the rounds.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the info. I do want to shoot the gun around the farm at deer, coyotes, hogs but can't see the front sight. I tried painting the front sight with white out but still can't see it with my ageing eyes.

Any ideas? The front sight is removable via a screw but I can't imagine there is a replacement available with a brighter sight point. Maybe paint it with a fluorecent paint???

Thanks again,

milt

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

METTE56, I would not drill any holes in your gun. The gun is not of great value but why butcher it. If you need optics because of age (me) buy a inexpensive Marlin or Savage rifle. I seen a Winchester Mod 70 not long ago in 22 hornet, first year production with 4 holes drilled and tapped for a side mount. Someone did it many years ago and had no idea how much the value would drop doing this. More then $1,000 for those 4 holes. ctreay, The mod. 8 was chambered in 25,30,32, and 35Rem. The 81 Rem. had the same chambering also 300Sav.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

guess I have never seen a 32 remington- didnt know it existed actually but a couple of people said it does so it must

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Gene, I have a Model 14 slide action in .32 Remington. The 14's and the 141's are good rifles. One can sometimes find the Remington rimless ammo at gun shows. I've found .30's and .32's at the show in Fresno. .25's seem to be a little more rare. .35's are common.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Gene, I had a model 8 in the 32 calibre in mint condition. I guess I should have kept it, Oh well. LOL, Bob

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Milt, I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom on old rifles and suggest you scope that rifle in order to be able to enjoy it. I too have "aging eyes" and find iron sights to be a problem. You might try a Merit eye disc on your shooting glasses first. That works OK for me when shooting my muzzleloader.If this were a rifle you had recently acquired...I'd suggest not drilling it. Since it has been in your family a long time, hopefully it will STAY in your family...so it's "trade value" is meaningless. Do whatever you have to in order to fully enjoy it, and be proud to pass it on in your family as a rifle Milt Enjoyed..!!

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I second the 'Merit' device or a cheaper one is the HySkore Experts Optic Aid Set. About $16.00 compared to near a hundred for the Merit. Also there is the Farrsight one for about the same money as the Hyskore. They make that front sight just as clear as the rear sight. If you were shooting from a stand they work fine. Plenty of field of view. I use the HySkore for indoor pistol league and so do many others I shoot with. Try this to get an idea of how they work. Take your glasses off and clench your hand holding it up to your eye and look through the hole at a newspaper and keep squeezing down your fist until there is just a peep hole and you will be able to read that newspaper a few letters at a time. From the Blue Book of Gun Values. Rem Model 8 aprox 60,000 made between 1906 to 1936. By the way that is one of several models that were used in the shootout with Bonnie and Clyde and I believe Hammer was armed with a modified Model 8 with a larger magazine. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

35 remington model 8 rear sight threaded mount

hyskore optic set
no drill mount for 35 remington model 8

remington model 8