1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Model 742 Opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by unioncracker, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Have the opportunity to pickup a 742, 308 cal. Matte wood but the stock has two cracks, one on each side, same grain. I shoot a BAR, this gun is for new grandson, early of course. The gun is probably 90% blue, wood good except for cracks. Been my experience the 742, 30-06 shoots loose. Been told the 308 is better and more matched for the action. What would the expected group size be. Since he wants 300.00, I wonder, but it is clean, well kept(ex-marine,older guy) and it has an old tasco 3x9 that is quite clear with the fold over mounts.Not really sure to wait and find a BAR.

Thanks

Buddy

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Wait for the BAR

As one who performed warranty service and repair for Remington, the 742 was a mediocre design with many flaws. Short service life was only one of the problems.

Why not a turnbolt 243? He can shoot it as soon as he grows enough to reach a bench.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I don't think a Remington 742 in .308 would shoot any different than the same rifle in 30-06, especially with typical 150 grain bullets.

Another consideration is starting a young hunter off with a semi-auto. Starting a new shooter off with a bolt action will reinforce the need to focus on the current shooting opportunity, not on getting five rounds down range.

In the Kentucky woods, Remington semi-autos are frequent sights. With the typical deer shot in Kentucky being well under 100 yards, a Remington semi-auto or pump has sufficient accuracy to get the job done.

Waiting to find a suitable BAR is not a bad idea as the young hunter would have the same gun as grandpa. Still, I do not favor a semi-auto for young hunters.

I shoot both bolt guns and lever guns. A Marlin lever action in 30-30 has a pleasant recoil and IMO causes the shooter to focus on the current shooting opportunity. There are new Marlin 336's with a 4 X scope currently advertised at Dicks for under $400.

I am not a fan of Tasco scopes except the very early Tasco's made in Japan or Taiwan. The older China made Tasco's were not IMO a decent scope. Maybe they are better made now. With an inexpensive scope, if you zero at 9X and hunt at 3X you could have an unpleasant surprise.

As to accuracy of the Remington semi-auto's and pumps, IMO the key is that they should be zeroed in when they are cold so wait a few minutes or more between shots. As these rifles get warm, the point of impact changes and the groups look like more of a string than a group.

You mention fold over mounts. IMO, a scope should be mounted low and close to the barrel. Mounts that allow you to see through the mount or hold the scope high over the barrel are to be avoided as they require a shooter to raise his head above the stock.

A bolt gun in .243 is a good suggestion especially for longer range shots.

A Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a 2X to 4X scope mounted low would be another consideration, especially for close shots in wooded areas.

Just my $.02.

Ed Ward

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friend shoots the 742 for years. He has killed alot of deer in his years with that one gun. Stay with the 150gr bullet and you will love the gun. Do not use 180 or 200gr bullets. They will just go through the deer and not do what you want it to do. One thing my friend didn't do as often as he should have. CLEAN THE GUN. Other then that it is a good gun.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A fair brush gun, but not known for its accuracy by any means. The BAR is a superior gun, no doubt.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I just sold my 742 in 30-06 to my buddy yesterday with two clips and 80 rounds of 150 grain BTSP ammo. I charged him $350, do you folks think I charged him too much? I don't want to "screw him" if you know what I mean. I thought that was a fair price. It includes an older weaver variable scope with tip off mount.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thats a good price- I would change the scope mount to top of the receiver though

I would jump on it at that price-

There are some features missing like bolt lock out - but so what.

Now I would tell you that you do want the bullet to exit- so shoot 165s or 180s- I have seen a noticeable difference in dropping power. After the initial shock it is all about blood loss or inability to move- like a broken shoulder for example

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I would love to find a 742 in .243 or .270 Anybody got one to sell?

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remington does not support this gun any more, for a few years now.

On guns that were shot a lot the slide rails in the receiver get sharp. Then you can toss the gun or make it a parts donor.

Typical deer guns will not be subject to this since the average deer rifle is shot for less than 20 rounds a year.

the last one I saw sent in was refused by remington and they gave the owner a credit toward a model 7400.

HM

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Gene the tip off mount is mounted on the top of the receiver. The scope holds zero very well. I had never had a tip off mount before. All you do is simply pull at the scope and it pivots out of the way off to the left side. Snap it back in place and you are good to go.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tripod- ok- I remember those now.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. RJ

RJ TS Member

Back in 1976 I purchased the Centenial version of the 742 in 30-06. What a gun. It was white wood like basket weave checkering gold inlay trigger. I took it to Canada that year and everyone that seen it thought it was beautiful. So did I and so did my wife. It must have been one of those special types because that thing was very accurate. I had a 4-10 I believe it was a weaver scope, but can't remember. but do remember it was a 4-10. Never went much past 4 while in use. Shot several deer and one moose and one snow goose in which we won't be getting into that story. But I now have a 740 I am rebuilding. No, It's not the 742 I had before but I did like the style of it over the BAR. By the time I get through with it it will shoot as accurate as a BAR. I hope I can get it up to at least 600 yards and would like for it to reach out to 800 yards. But time will tell. Shot a 742 in 308 150 grain bullet. Didn't seem to be that much difference except the stroke on the bolt was shorter and faster than the 06. I have heard throught the years they were not that great of a gun. No, maybe not the greatest but with a good scope and care the gun shot great for me. I was very accurate up to 300 yards with it. Never worked for anythinhg over that. Shot the Moose with 180 grain round nose and it dropped where it was standing. The several deer I shot with it were fron 130 to 265 yards. All in Canada at different years. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Anybody that would like to bet a stack of 100 dollar bills I can out shoot a BAR with my 742 Remington 30-06 to 30-06 just step up to the plate.

My 742 will shoot 3/4 of an inch or less. Every time. The problem with 742's is that people do not know that there is a block to adjust so the forend adjusts away from the reciever in the back. My uncle Elvin has performerd this service on at least 25 remington 742's in 308 and 30-06. If the trigger is tuned so it can be shot the 308's will shoot nickle sized groups at 100 yards.

Anybody that wants to bet cash money that what I am saying is wrong be prepared to lose you money.

The 742'a are only good for about 3 shots before you should let the barrel cool but those three shots will be touching if you can shoot. Jeff

The bar is a much nicer looking gun but I have never shot one that would shoot much better then an 1.5 inch group even with handloads and a good shot. The 742's will shoot less. Granted this is not common knowlage but that doesn't change the fact that it is true. Jeff

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I agree with Superxjeff, 742's will shoot if you get the forearm pressure off them, Williams used to do a good trigger job on them too. I've also seen plenty of BAR's that wouldn't shoot into 4 inches at a 100. I'd rather have one in 243 but I'm a recoil wuss. The 742 is a whole lot better gun than its rep seems to be on this board, the chamber will rust if you don't take care of them but that says more about the owners.

15. bow377

bow377 TS Member

DON"T BUT THE JUNK ################

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

As one who worked with a man who performed warrantee work on a 742..EVERYTHING Shooting Coach said is true.. No cupcakes.. I word it differently.. maybe you'll understand.. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.. now.. maybe I left something unclear.. MANY design defects..many law suits.. many injured people.. and yes.. I know a few of them..

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I didn't say they were the best gun. i said they were more accurate then a Bar. if all you ar egoing to do is shoot a deer and an elk each year a .742 that is new and ha never been abused by morons will last as long as the average hunter will live.

Now if you want to do a lot of target shooting? If you like to go up on the hill and shoot rocks they arew not the gun for you. If I had to guess I would say remington 742 ia good for maybe 1200 rounds. Enough to deer hunt for longer then an average lifetime.

I am just saying that they are accurate and when you need accuracy, reliability and fast follow up shots the 742 is just fine. I do not hunt with one but I have killed game with them and they are as good as any hunting gun.

I prefer bolt actions and 1/4 inch MOA accuracy and my rifles will all do it. The 742 that has been tuned will shoot dangerously close in .308 with a good shot behind the trigger.

My offer stands... I will outshoot a bar with my 742 and I am willing to bet cash on the outcome. Jeff

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've seen to many 742's that the firing pin broke.. got stuck in the bolt.. and fired the shell before the bolt was locked up.. That can blow the trigger assembly out of the gun with your hand still in it..spru brass particles and metal shreds in your face and eyes.. and if you're real lucky..just ruin your day.. Frank Chambers had a "special" way to fix them when the lost their headspace..It's called bandsaw... New one.. old one.. matters not.. If I picked on only 1 design flaw..that would be enough.. Now.. do I really care if its accurate????? Lets see.. blind in one eye.. lost a finger or two.. but dam.. It's a tackdriver... Sorry guys.. I just don't get it...

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I can think of a lot of better choices for a grandson's first deer rifle.

bluedsteel

20. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have worked on many 742's. Go with a 740 or 7400 but do not invest in a 742. What happens is the recoil of the bolt on the support rail on the inside of the reciever causes it to thin out and then the bolt will not fully cycle. There is nothing you can do to fix this problem. There are a lot of 742 single shots out there.
    It is easy to check this out. Keep the mag in then pull the bolt back to the locked open position. You can then look inside the ejection port and inspect the rail that runs along the left side. If it is hammered or is getting thin, you have a parts gun.
    The bolt has a spring loaded bar along the top of it. This is also a problem area not found in the 740 or 7400.
    I know there are some 742's out there that are still shooting ok, but they won't if shot very much.
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
742 accurizing

handload for remington 742

how many rounds is a 742 good for
remington 30-06 model 742 off at 50 yards by 4 inches

remington 742 headspace

remington 742 warranty

what kind of accuracy to expect from a remington 7400 woodsman

why was remington 742 so accurate