1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Model 700 Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skip, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Remingtons Answer to CNBC'S Report of the 700 Trigger

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_KVS1hIbQg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_KVS1hIbQg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for posting. Well worth watching. Mike.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Thanks for posting this, I never believed the Remington 700 was at fault, and after I saw the pictures of the rusty and faulty work or repair of one gun in question, why any defense atty would not go after the plaintiff is beyond belief.

The Remington 700 is a very, very safe and reputable rifle that has saved many of our military men and women in combat.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. skip

skip Member

Hi Mike

Unfortunately several people have been killed by the Model 700 due to unsafe gun handeling practice and I'm sure other people have been accidentely killed with other manufactures rifles.

In any case, had the barrel been pointing in a safe direction while loaded or unloaded when and if the 700 accidently discharged in all likely hood no one would have been killed.

The presentation made by CNBC about the Model 700 will make your blood boil if you haven't already seen it.

5. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

I'm a police armorer. I work on Glocks, Sigs, Colts, AR platforms, Rugers (they use to make a police semi carbine but alas no more) and Remington 870 , semis and THE REMINGTON 700.

Here's how it goes: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE OLDER STYLE REMINGTON TRIGGER P R O V I D E D :

1. You don't screw with it if you don't know what you are doing. If there is one thing that you should never touch IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS THE SEAR ENGAGEMENT. Additioanlly, if you lighten a factory trigger (old one) to under 2 lbs of pull the sear engagement can bounce and release. So if you don't know what your doing don't touch it!

2. Clean the trigger mechanism periodically. It's an open design that collects crap and mix in old oil and it can create a problem. WHATEVER YA DO don't use WD40 to lube the trigger mechanism or any trigger mechanism as it turns into a gluey shellac over time and will cause the trigger to fail. My grandfather had a 700 (1965) and the sear would not engage. Guess what? WD40 and dirt. Beteer solution: clean with break parts cleaner and lube with gun oil. Brake parts cleaner is cheaper than Birchwood Casey (by a lot) and does the same job.

Other than screwing with it, not keeping it clean (periodically) and lubing it with anything other than gun oil THIS TRIGGER IS AS SAFE AS ANY OTHER TRIGGER. THE OPERATOR bears a lot of reaponsibility if ya know what I mean. The MSNBC piece was nothing more than a liberal media hit piece.

PS I also work on Mausers for the fun of it. (Simplicity in design)

6. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

PS:

That cop shooting that gun should be pulled off of his teams unit if he thinks it is appropriate to shoot an unsafe weapon. Any department that would keep that weapon in service isn't worth a ... well I'll leave it there.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a fellow Remington Police Armorer, NJCOP has it dead on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.