1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington model 700 BDL ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BreakUmAll, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakUmAll

BreakUmAll Member

I have recently heard that the Remington 700 bolt action has a history of
    discharging when the bolt is closed? I have a 30-06 that I have never fired
    and am now questioning it's safty. Was told Remington has known about the
    problem from the start and decided to make restitution as arises.. Does any-
    one know if this is fact or fiction?? Thanks BreakUmAll.

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

If you don't try to adjust the trigger to light you will not have a safety issue. I have had several with no problems. I have some now with 33 trigger pull and they function fine.
    Never heaed about Remington making restitution.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I presently own 2 Remington 700's and don't remember how many I have owned previously,but I have never had one discharge while closing the bolt. Point the gun in a safe direction while closing the bolt.

To answer you question about a problem, yes there was. I won't get into it here because of not remembering all the particulars, but this problem has been aired on national T.V. several times. Do a google search and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know.

Steve

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I nhave upgraded aftermarket triggers in mine, so this does not apply. If you want to test yours, here is the proceedure:

MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED!!!!!!

Open and closed the bolt

Engage to safety lever to the safe position.

Try to pull the trigger, it should not drop the firing pin. Yank, pullshake the rifle, it should not go off.

Take your finger completely away from the trigger, and with the muzzle in a safe direction move the safety lever to fire position. IF the firing pin drops, you have a defective firearm, do not use it until it is fixed.

Repeate the test several times, and if disconnecting the safety never drops the trigger your rifle is ok.

Always go back to saftey rule one. Always be aware of your muzzle direction anytime you handle your rifle.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

To test a remington triggers safety:

MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADEDED!!!!!!

Open and cloase the bolt as you would normally.

slide safety selector to safe

Pull the trigger, and the rifle should not fire.

Yank and pull the trigger, slap the rifle, etc. The safety should hold

Take your finger completely away from the trigger, and slide the safety to fire position. If the gun fires, you have a defective rifle that needs repair.

If the gun does not fire, try the proceedure several more times. If the rifle does not fire you are ok. Even so, always keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

To test a remington triggers safety:

MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADEDED!!!!!!

Open and cloase the bolt as you would normally.

slide safety selector to safe

Pull the trigger, and the rifle should not fire.

Yank and pull the trigger, slap the rifle, etc. The safety should hold

Take your finger completely away from the trigger, and slide the safety to fire position. If the gun fires, you have a defective rifle that needs repair.

If the gun does not fire, try the proceedure several more times. If the rifle does not fire you are ok. Even so, always keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As Leo says, the problem is that some rifles would fire when the safety was moved from safe to fire. This is or was happening on completely stock (never tweeked) triggers. A related symtom was that the striker wouldn't remain cocked when the bolt was closed but that condition doesn't usually result in a discharge - still not a good or safe condition.

I don't know that Remington is making repairs on this problem. I think they are still fighting it out in court.

8. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

LEO,

Leo,

Do you have to do it three times?:)

9. skip

skip Member

Look around for the CNBC Story they did on the Remingto 700, the one below is Remingtons answer.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_KVS1hIbQg?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_KVS1hIbQg?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

CNBC did not give the whole story, Remington firmly stands by their Model 700.

On the rifles that "Supposedly" fired without the trigger being pulled, neither the plaintiffs experts, nor Remington could repeat the problem. Sounds like bad gun handling all around.

I have 3 700's and have never had a problem with any of them, I do keep them clean and I do not mess with the trigger or sear engagement.

Oscar

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have over 20 Model 700s, some dating back to the early 1970s, and I have adjusted the triggers on all of them. On most, I haven't touched the sear engagement screw, however. NONE have ever fired unintentionally and some of the varmint rilfes have been cocked and had the safety engaged and disengaged several hundred times.

Ed

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have owned at least 50 diffrent 700's in my life. I have never had any issue. It is not now and never was a "Common" problem. It is a design flaw and was so staed by the man who invented the trigger during the investigation.

I find it ironic that the same people who have shot and killed people with these" faulty" guns thought it was ok to point a loaded gun at somebody.

Unloaded guns that are not pointed at people have never killed anyone.

Millions of 700 remingtons have been made. I will not hesitate to buy another 700. Jeff

13. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I have about 10 at the present time and have owned a lot more and I have never had any trouble at all.. If you do not try to get the trigger pull too light I do not think you will have any trouble. I have a 40XB in 22/250 that I took down to 8 ounces and it never gave any trouble.

DICK fORREST

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The only safe rifle is one with the bolt open and the chamber and magazine empty. A rifle with a round in the chamber, bolt closed and safety on is an accident waiting to happen. HMB

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

HMB is right! That is about the most dangerous one there is. My safty mantra is that "nobody was ever killed with an open bolt".Jeff

16. larryjk

larryjk Member

AATrap, There really isn't a problem with the standard trigger in the Model 700 Remington. The problem is people "fiddling" with them that don't know what they are doing. No.1;The weight of pull should not be set at less than 3 lbs. with the factory return spring. It may work and may not, but cannot always be counted on to reset the sear at less than 3 lbs. I take them down to much less but do it by replacing the spring (and I won't say how I do it.) No.2; Don't try to set the overtravel screw with absolutely no travel after the sear releases. That is the reason the safety is considered the problem. If there isn't any slack on the overtravel screw, it may hold the sear from resetting. That is how the LEO was able to make it fire by touching the bolt handle in the stupid video.
    And the triggers should be serviced occasionally depending on the conditions they are used in. Don't lube them... it only collects dust, sand, etc.
    If you don't know what you are doing, leave the trigger alone. The factory used to do a pretty good job of setting them.

17. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Yes,they will go off as you move the safety off to unload the gun.This happend to me on a bear hunt in new brunswick canada,went to unload before getting in the truck,lucky I had the muzzle pointing upwards,it went off.brand new 300 win mag,700bdl,that will wake you up.This was some twenty years ago,swapped out the trigger unit for a timmney one,no problems since.

18. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Yes,they will go off as you move the safety off to unload the gun.This happend to me on a bear hunt in new brunswick canada,went to unload before getting in the truck,lucky I had the muzzle pointing upwards,it went off.brand new 300 win mag,700bdl,that will wake you up.This was some twenty years ago,swapped out the trigger unit for a timmney one,no problems since.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've had quite a few of them the first one I bought was in 1969 and still have it, none of them have ever malfunctioned expect missing the target, and yes that was the gun's fault LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.