1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Model 58 & Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Can I safely shoot steel shot in my Sportsman 58? My son lives in Naperville Illinois and I would like him to try the Remington. They only shoot steel there.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Just don't use anything tighter than a mod. choke and you'll be fine.. Remember to put the gas nut on the hi-power setting

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

try to limit the size of shot also

nothing larger than 3 steel and you will probably ok

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Thanks guys. Remington actually replied to the same question I sent to them with essentially the same answer. The gun has a modified choke. What size steel shot for trap, skeet, and sporting?

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Mike -

The steel sold at Naperville is #7. That's also the size we use for reloading. #6 or #6.5 is OK also. At Naperville shot size is restricted to nothing larger than #6.

Scott Calhoun (member at Naperville Sportsman's Club)

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The steel bunker shells I tried in Italy were #7.. and they turned targets to dust.. remember steel is lighter than lead..so pellet count was way up.. the long hits were OK.. not the devistation of a quick first shot.. but I promise you.. they'll get the job done.. While I was leary of steel in my Perazzi.. the small shot size produced no problems.. The factory rep was there..with the promise of a new barrel.. if any harm was done... I must say... the barrel does get real hot.. real quick...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can a sportsmen 58 shoot steel
can i shoot steel from my sportsman 58
can the remington model 58 sportsman shoot steel shot
remington 58 barrel steel shot
remington 58 steel shot

remington sportsman 58 problems

remington sportsman 58 shoot steel
steel shot in remington model 58