1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington model 48 and 11-48 owners. HELP!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poe/IL, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poe/IL

poe/IL TS Member

Can someone please tell me the proper way to assemble my Remington model 48 Sportsman. Its the same as a model 11-48 except its a 3 shot instead of 5 shot.

I've got schematics and I've got a manual but its not clear about two of the parts in the recoil mechanism. I'll post a picture of how my gun came apart at the end of this post. I believe the dealer I bought the gun from had it together wrong. It shoots but unless I loosen the magazine cap it won't cycle the shells. Its my opinion that he had the friction piece in the wrong place. I changed it and it goes together OK but I haven't fired it. I'd like some owners opinions or gunsmiths opinions before I fire it.

The pictures below show how my gun was assembled when I tore it apart the first time. Its my opinion that the friction piece (small brass ring with a slit in it) needs to go into the barrel guide. Next comes the recoil spring ring (lettering UP towards the barrel guide. Then the recoil spring goes inside the recoil spring ring and then it all slides over the magazine tube as you put the barrel on pressing down all the way to get the fore-end assembly down over the threads for the magazine cap. Is this correct?

Pictures follow..

Thank you very much for your time, Brian

[​IMG]

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Hi Brian, I have owned a number of 11-48s over the years but currently only have the .410 and 28ga models. The 28 recoil spring ring is a little different(longer and heavier) but you are correct the friction piece goes inside the barrel guide as you stated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-48 friction piece

1148 sportsman friction ring position

how the friction ring goes in a remington model 11

remington 11-48 410 friction ring

remington 11-48 setting friction ring

remington 1148 friction ring placement

remington sportsman 48 friction band assembly

sportsman 48 friction ring placement