1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Model 31TC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I really enjoy vintage guns and vintage trap pumps are my holy grail. Have been able to find the Winchester Model 12's and they are excellent guns. So far the Remington and Ithaca trap pumps have been difficult to add to the collection.

Last week stumbled on a Remington Model 31 TC, looked a little rough but was all original except for a shortened stock. Decided to get it and when it was delivered was pleasantly surprised to find it looked better than the sellers pictures.

It dates from July of 1949, has original blue and wood finish, right side of stock worn, most likely was used by a lefty. As with most trap guns is well used but does look like it was taken care of, bore is excellent, like a mirror, fixed full choke.

Got it out today and just smokes trap targets just like the full choke Model 12's I use. The 31's have a reputation of being the slickest pumps ever make and I must say the slide operates like it's on ball bearings, no effort at all to close.

Now I need to find an Ithaca Model 37T trap, don't think that one is going to be easy to find, only come across 2 in the last 2 years and they were butchered.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Finest pump ever built, have been shooting mine for 30+ years now, started with M12s all shot fine just didn't fit me & a little rough to pump and (for me) the action release & safety were backwards then 1 day I shot a buddies 31 it was just like going home, found a used M31 TC in the late 60s still shooting it today. Enjoy your find---Ross Puls

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

ahmen on the 31

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

very nice looking old school shotgun there

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

Very cool -

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The Ithaca Model 37T trap was my first trap gun, as I purchased it new in the box in the early 70's. It came with beautiful wood. I wish I would have kept it.
    Steve

7. algebra1

algebra1 Member

There is a nice 37T on Gunbroker

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

alegebra1, thanks, saw that 37t on Gunbroker,has been there several weeks, looks good other than the replaced non-checkered butt stock. To me that makes it a 200 to 400 dollar gun,much less than his opening bid.

9. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

I've seen some Remington 31 TC Trapguns but what is a Remington 31 T grade????Is that before the 31 TC????

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I think the action of a 31 feels like it's on ball bearings because it is...

Am I wrong?

11. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

Here is a few photo's of my 1946 Remington 31TC, from my collection. It's 100% Original and untouched. It has the etremley rare Horn Grip Cap. The pictures do not do the wood or the gun justice. I do have another 1948 31TC with Custom Roll over cheek piece stock, that I do shoot. Smooth as butter and smokes the targets. The 31TC's, in my opinion are the best pump guns ever made!

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Champion--the 31 T was a trap gun with standard wood. The TC had selected wood. They also made engraved Model 31's---D, E and F grade.

13. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Stu, absolutely stunning gun, incredible condition. I could only dream of finding one in that condition. Here is a pic of the grip cap on mine, has a little style to it.

[​IMG]

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

MR Ducks: No ball bearings in any of my 31s just an uncommonly well designed & machined gun. I think that the target grades were given a little more TLC on the assembly line than the std. field grade as I have a new one(almost, as I shot 1 box through it) & it is a little stiff but the other field grades that have been used over the years are now just as slick as the TCs. Wonderful guns you owe yourself one. Ross Puls

15. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

JohnR,

Thanks for the compliments...Here are a few photo's of my other 31TC. This one was made in 1948. I purchased it, just the way you see it in the photo's.

There are 31TC's out there, but it took me a long time to find these two..

These one has a custom set of wood with roll over cheek piece that fits like a glove. Nickle plated trigger and trigger guard. Jeweled bolt and completley re-done in the rust blue process...

It truly smokes the targets....

You can check out my entire collection, on my web site:

http://www.mrgunsplace.com/

Let me know what you think....As you can see I am really into the vintage trap guns...

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

BeBop: You have a PM. Ross

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

I have a 1947 37T, all original, and probably 99.5% condition (not for sale). It produces absolutely the best patterns I have ever seen. Every once in a while I will pick up some new loads and put them to paper through the 37, and they're just beautiful. It always makes me wonder why.

18. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Maybe you gentlemen can answer a question for me about the model 31.

I had a chance to buy one, but passed because the trigger was not quite right to me.

With a normal pull, it seemed to catch, the trip.

I have been told that they used two types triggers......one a "pull", and one a "lift" style.

How can I tell the difference so I can buy the pull type?

Danny

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

In the early 31s the trigger assembly DID NOT extend back into the stock as the 870s & later 31s do, Rem. changed them a little but they still kinda pull up-&-back. Some 31 lovers prefer early & some (myself included) the later one where the trigger is a little further back, more like an 870, just seems to fit my hand & trigger finger better. I've been shooting the same one (later model) for 30+ years and really don't notice much difference between 31 triggers and other guns, if your thinking about putting a release in a 31 you can just about forget it as they must be difficult to make a release for, have heard that they have a tendency to "pull through", I have inquired here on TS several times to find one or someone to convert 1 for me with no luck. Once you shoot a 31 a little you won't notice it. Ross Puls

PS if anybody knows where I can get 1 or get 1 converted please PM me so we don't hi-jack this thread.

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

The more I look at the 31 the more a appreciate the model 12's styling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

any diff in a remington 31 and a 31 tc