1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington mdl 31 xperts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by v-strom 650, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Spotted a pretty clean 20 ga w/ the deluxe checkered stock for sale; but it had an adjustable polychoke on the matching s/n barrel. It also had a small trigger guard. Did these come factory that way? The install was VERY clean and neat. How well do those work for just casual skeet and sporting clays shooting and some grouse hunting. Thanks, J.Terre

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

The small trigger guard was on the early models. It is possible the Poly Choke was factory installed but it is not very likely. If it was factory installed there will NOT be a choke desingation on the barrel. If I could only have one gun it would have a Ventlated Poly Choke on it. If possible you need to pattern the gun on a board to make sure the Poly Choke was installed correctly. Also check the spring fingers to make sure they are intact.
    Is it a plain barrel gun or does it have a rib?

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Thanks for the info; no rib and the barrel has full choke on it. No chance I can pattern it but the choke fingers looked intact and it adjusted smoothly. So a good "shooter" for fun if the choke works? Anyone else? J.Terre

4. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

A great all around gun. Nothing slicker then an early 31. I'd value it at $250-300--without hesitation.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to hunt with a good friend that carried a 20 gauge plain barrel, poly choked model 12 that had a plain stock and almost no bluing left. The model 12 was one of the first guns in the household when he was a boy and he is now almost 80.

We would hunt anything in season and on some day's that included quail, squirrels, rabbits and woodcock. That model 12 took a lot of game and old Bob was quick as a snake with it.

A Remington model 31 20 gauge would be a joy to carry in the field. A quick twist of the choke and you are ready for quail off a point, a bunny running a head of hounds or a fox squirrel high up in shag bark hickory.

A field gun does not need a rib, classic wood or a fancy name. The old model 31's and model 12's were and still are fast and deadly.

And you don't have to worry if you get the gun wet or scratched.

Ed Ward

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The 31 Rem. is known as the ball bearing pump, slickest pump ever built next in line is the Mod.12 Win. buy it you'll like it. As per twoatlow8 shoot it at a pattern board to be sure it's shooting straight, I had an Ithica 37 with a PC, and liked it until somehow it got knocked out of whack and shot 2 ft. left-- &-- 3 ft. low, should have sent it in to be repaired but didn't just traded it off. For what you say your going to use it for it should be ideal. ENJOY IT-- Ross Puls

7. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Thanks all, hopefully its still there when I get done w/ work.

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I have a 16ga 31. I couldn't wait to cut the poly choke off of it. Now I wonder why I did ?? I'm an old Model 12 guy, but the safety is in the wrong place for me, when hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

putting plug in remington model 31