1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington lawsuits

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cbxchris, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

First who points a gun at someone as they push off the safety? I do agree it was dumb to ever produce a gun that had to have the safety pushed off to open the bolt. I modified mine long before Remington ever did the recall. It takes just few minutes. I also use 40X triggers on most of my guns.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let's see if Remington blows this off with a crappy coupon like they did the 17 HMR semi-autos.

3. ABH

ABH Member

My Browning A-BOLT also has to have the safety off to unload the gun. My gun is only two years old. Can't understand why a company would allow a firearm with this type of design to leave the engineering room.

ART H.

4. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

That's why I have always like the winchester model 70 and its 3 position safety

5. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Found this on the Remington web site. If your firearm is in question send it in.

Remington Model 700 & Model 40-X
    If you own a Remington Model 700 or Model 40-X rifle:
    Only those Model 700 or 40-X rifles made before March 1982 were manufactured with a bolt-lock mechanism. Model 700 or 40-X rifles made after March 1982 do not have a bolt-lock mechanism and may be loaded and unloaded with the safety in the “S” or “On Safe” position. Consequently, post-1982 Model 700 or 40-X rifles are not subject to this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program.
    To determine whether your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, either:
    Call Remington toll-free at 1-877-387-6691 and a service representative will help you determine if your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism, or
    Take your Model 700 or 40-X rifle to a Remington Authorized Repair Center and a qualified gunsmith will examine your firearm and determine whether it has a bolt-lock mechanism.
    If your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, it is eligible for this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program. If you participate, your firearm will be cleaned and inspected for proper functioning by a qualified gunsmith. Once the condition of your firearm has been assessed, you will be notified of one of the following:
    Your firearm’s trigger assembly is otherwise in good operating condition, and the gunsmith will proceed to physically remove the bolt-lock feature so that your rifle can be loaded and unloaded while the safety remains in the “S” or “On Safe” position; or
    Your rifle’s trigger assembly is found to be in an unsatisfactory or potentially unsafe operating condition because of any number of factors, including wear, alteration or maintenance. The entire trigger assembly will be replaced with a new factory trigger assembly, which does not incorporate a bolt-lock mechanism.

In either case, the total cost to you is $20 plus shipping and handling. You will also receive a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat (one hat per certificate).
    How to participate in the Safety Modification Program
    Complete the General Repair Form and Send or deliver your firearm and the completed repair form to either:
    a) A Remington Authorized Repair Center; or
    b) Ship your firearm to the Remington factory at:
    Remington Arms Company, Inc.
    Ilion Firearms Plant
    Attention: BL Safety Program
    14 Hoefler Avenue
    Ilion, NY 13357
    Remington will bill or arrange for payment once your firearm is received and evaluated.

6. revbook

revbook Member

Can you belive it, you have to pay $20 plus shipping and handling to have their engineering problem corrected. The hat is an insult!

Don

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

If anyone else can find companies that provide repairs to anything at all that is over 28 years old, even for a pittance token payment, then crabbing at Remington for wanting money to fix an old design to newer spec. may be in line.

The only situations that I have seen as a long-time gunsmith that could cause a gun to fire at the wrong time were strictly due to excess wear, reworked or mis-adjusted slop done by amateurs, parts heavily gummed by stiff and inappropriate lubricants or dirt and lube from antiquity that should have been cleaned out long ago.

If someone drives a car with brakes worn past all reasonable level of metal contact- crashes- and blames the car mfgr. for their failure to maintain a safety related part in a reasonable manner, they bear all responsibility. Sorry to believe it actually needs to be said: reality, logic, and personal responsibility must trump all pity party emotion.

Kirby

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But will that include the 5.5 cent part that prevents this problem in the first place, the one Remington did not want to spend the money on?

Screw it. I'm sticking to Savage for bolt guns.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kirby, what is wrong with your thinking process. You advocated some "personal responsibility" for our situations. That is not the American way. We should immediately contact our lawyer when anything in our lives goes astray.

Pat Ireland

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Kirby & Pat,

Did you watch the documentary? It's not about Remington fixing something. It's about being responsible for the cover-up of their engineering flaw for all these years. The design flaw should have been corrected many years ago and recalls should have occurred as well. These firearms were not worn out, they were dangerous. The dems & the tree-huggers will be all over this (and us).

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jon- I load and unload my gun with the safety off. I don't even know if it has a safety. If it does, I locked it off many years ago. If I shoot someone with the gun, I cannot blame anyone but myself. I have release triggers and at times I set the trigger and then have to unload the gun. If I do not do that with care, the consequences are my responsibility.

Pat Ireland

12. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I do not have to watch a "hit" piece that allows the "expert" actually be someone that worked in the AMMUNITION PLANT, never the firearms plant, and as for being told to not talk about the firearms, that is a common type of statement to employees to have answers given by qualified personnel.

(If anyone wants to blindly believe ANYTHING from the major news media- hello, sucker, here's YER sign.)

Ammo plant worker, answer ammo questions only.

Firearms plant worker, gunsmith, etc., answer firearm mechanism questions.

Maybe they should have gotten a receptionist as another Remington insider.

Did you see the guy testifying on the Remington TV site, where he says he never worked on design or manufacture or at the firearms plant.

http://m.remington700.tv/#

See the latest 3 videos posted there, #7, 8, and 9 to see excerpts that have their own hard questions for the "reporters".

Like I say, I've been inside plenty of triggers of Remington and other guns, and fixed plenty of mechanisms that failed.

Just remember, the only real way to get a 700 to fire by touching the bolt is to have the trigger housing improperly installed. That's like installing a brake pedal to sit against the floor and then wondering why the car failed to stop.

S.I.A.S.D.

Kirby

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Remington must have received some noise over the broadcast. I just got an email for a survey from them. I have bought many Remington products, and Never received a survey to fill out.

Wonder if they are feeling some heat?

Jerbear

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

After having my post 1982 bolt(while hunting) keep falling open on it's on, or opening up enough that the gun won't fire; I converted it back to a pre 82 safety. Now the action stays closed except when I want to open it. Yes, I have to turn the safety to the fire position to open the action, but I usually don't point it at anyone. Yes Winchester (and more recent Rem) has a better safety with it's 3 position, but the post 82 Rem models are a pain for hunting. AJ

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This just happened last weekend here in Caldwell Idaho ( suburb of Boise) several young hunters ( in their late teens) were hunting and ended up at one of their homes. As one youth took an 870 out of the truck and proceeded to walk up the drive with the other two and stumbled. In the process he tried to catch the gun and hit the trigger and it shot one of the kids in the head at point blank range. ( dead of course) Now the father of the deceased is looking into the remington issue thinking the 870 may have a similar problem? Obviously an attorney must be involved seeing big dollars when in fact the gun should have been unloaded in the field. My guess and only a guess is that the kid thought he unloaded it and one was still in the mag that he did not see or get out. Then he closed the action and bingo, shell in chamber, trigger cocked!!! This kind of sh-- even though human error could and is hurting the gun industry and could break renington. Really pisses me off!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.