1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington hypersonic shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a ported barrel on my browning gold hunter and would like to know if I can shoot the new remington hypersonic shells in it?I sent remington a email. got no answer.I know federal does not recomend shooting black clouds in a ported barrel.I would rather shoot black cloud's but i can't un port the barrel and finding a unported barrel for a goldhunter has not worked out.no one wants to take the ported barrel in on trade.
    tk's trace

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I fail to understand why low velocity loads would not work through ported barrels. If they will not work through a 30 inch ported barrel, they certainly would not work through a 28 inch barrel that is not ported. Can someone help me figure this out?

Pat Ireland

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Technically, hypersonic means, "of or relating to speed five or more times that of sound in air."

I don't think these shells quite match that. If they did, oh, but the recoil!

Pat, you're thinking "hypo-" which means less than or below. Hypodermic means under the skin.

tracyhunter, suggest you call Browning customer service with your question.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The problem as I understand it is the damaging effects to hearing of the blast waves exiting the ports at 1700 fps. Especially in the confines of a blind, the effects of the blast on the ears of the people next to you can be permanent.

MK

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Sound travels at 1125fps/768mph at sea level. I don't think any shotgun shell travels at 5625fps/3840mph regardless of being called "Hypersonic".

Eric

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington Hypersonic Shells are steel shot shells that travel at 1700 fps. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.