1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington hulls buckling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

every now and then when loadind shells, I get a shell that has buckled over at one side about half way down so the shell is actually bent over.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to correct so it never happens again.

Remington STS, Blue Duster, 18 grains of Promo, #8 shot.

Mec 9000 loader.

Thanks!!!

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Maybe you are not seating your wad all the way. Perhaps your crimp is too deep or when going to the final crimp station the top of the shell is getting caught on the outside of the crimp, bending it.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Remstar311's last option is likely the one. I have had this same issue with all kinds of hulls when i get in a hurry. Doesn't have to be to far out of line to happen.----Matt

4. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I've got about 300 new style AA's in both red and gray, with the odd sts or nitro27 mixed in for frustrating measure that are waiting for the shellcutter that have been crushed on my 9000hn.. I have called the mec techs 3 times and still have the problem along with many other people loading the same hulls.. I've switched over to loading the federal casings and problem solved!! Far less recoil too.

5. SX-1 Man Bud

SX-1 Man Bud Member

I agree with Remstar311. I had this same with Win. 20ga AA Hulls being loaded on a Mec 8567 Grabber. I increased the wad seating pressure and the problem
    went away.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember it being the final crimp die body is too low causing the body to grab the shell body and push it down. Adjust the die body up or down as necessary. This will require resetting your crimp depth.....

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Look at what station it is occurring. Chances are it's the final crimp, so loosen the lock nut and raise the screw one complete turn, then try it.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

The crimping station before the last final crimp is set down too far. Back it off 1/2 turn at a timeuntil it stops. The lsat crimp station just rounds off the end. MEC loaders only as far as I know.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's unusual with the STS hulls. I'd double check all of the adjustments and look for any abnormal wear or operation of the press. A quick call to MEC might find a solution. The AA hulls are a different matter. They take some tweaking to get right. The STS hulls are notorious for variations in length, so that may be some of the issue. I'd pay particular attention to the crimp die and the "cam" setting. The crimp depth may also be out of adjustment.

It's hard to say much more without actually seeing what the "bent" shell looks like.

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

STS hulls used to do that to me until I backed off the next to last crimp. Try that but also call Mec.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is a little off the wall, but since it happens to me sometimes I will bring it up:

ONce in a while when the primer doesn't quite seat the shell tips ever so slightly and the pre crimp stage hits the edge of the shell and of couse buckles the whole works.

It's a mess, have to take the shell out of the station, If you don't catch it the mess gets worse.

If you watch for it you can just guide the pre crimp over the hull manually and proceed normally.

When you said "bent" that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

HM

12. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Try moving the cam adjustment up about a 1/16 of an inch on station # 5.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I used to have that problem with the dark grey AA hulls on my MEC. The solution was to screw the crimp starter down until a regular lead pencil would not go in the top of the hull after it went through the crimp starter. The problem never ocurred again. I run all of my hulls that way now.

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Sounds like a Mec problem. No similar problem with a Spolar. Fred

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When I refer to the "final crimp" station, I disregard that useless last station.

On the 366 it's always been the pre-crimp, or crimp station that caused the problems.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.