1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Hulls and Reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My Dad is reloading shells for me, in my hometown 45 miles away from where I live right now. I have collected hulls, including Remington Gun Club and STS's. He told me tonight he is not getting Win 209 primers to seat well on the Remington hulls using the MEC 600 Jr reloader.

A guy at a local shop told him he needed to buy Remington primers to use with the Remington hulls. He has some Federal 209A primers to try later. Not sure yet what to report on those.

Anybody have experience with reloading these Remington hulls, and what the primer issue might be?

Danny

2. 3357

3357 Member

I routinely load winchester primers into gun club and sts cases, have never had a problem. Where did you "collect" the hulls? If they had been laying on ther ground or stored improperly for too ong the heads may be corroded. Only other thing I can think of is maybe you got a bad lot of primers, but I have never heard of this happening either. jess

3. DocJim

DocJim Member

Another possibility is that they were reloaded before with a primer that expands the primer pocket such as Rios and there may be others. In a good case there should be no problem reloading with Winchester primers, I've done it for years.
    Jim G

4. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Dmarbell,

I wanna know how I can get your dad to load shells for me too! lol The S.O. is threatening to make me do it myself. hehehe

Luvn

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

The hulls are Remington greenies picked up the day they were fired from the trash bins at my trap club. Could have been reloaded, but I doubt it. Most of the reloaders don't throw the hulls away, at least not in this shape. But I'll pass this info along and set if I can get more lowdown as the loading progesses.

Danny

6. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Danny frist what is the problem are the primer are fallimg out or thay are not goimg in all the way. If the primer are not going in all the way the primer ram on your loader needs to be readjusted so it seats the primer deeper and this can be done by loosing the allen scew and making the tube a little longer and re tighten it until you get the primer to the right dept. if the primers are falling out then the hull had oversize primes load in them and a stander 209 are to small and you would have to go to a mectric size primer like Rio's I use both primer in remington hulls STS and Gun clubs either win or StS with no prolbem I use a Mec 650. Now if the gun clubs you are using are the new ones by umc thay have mectic primers in them from the fartory and the stander 209 will fall out.and the way you can tell the old one had 8 point crimp and the new one use a 6 point crimp.

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

i load a lot of STS once fired hulls using fiocchi primers in a mec grabber. a good number of the primers do not seat completely after the primer station and only after passing thru the shot and crimp starter stations are the primers fully seated. it's weird but what your dad is experiencing is not unusual. just have to make sure that when you pull the finished hull off the pres that you inspect the primer seat to make sure it is flush which is no big deal - i inspect every hull i pull off the press anyway.

this only happens with once fired hulls. after the 1st reload the primers seat flush in next generation reloads no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington hulls and federal primers

remington hulls for reloading