1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Clubs Separate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dustoff, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

Recently two Remington Gun Clubs have separated. This is the same problem Federal had with their old Gold Medal shells. Both examples were new shells not reloads. This hull has always been a great one to reload. Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not out of recent flats I've had,..do you an idea how old what you shot is...seeing as some ammo sits a while before making it to the field..I know its not likely anything even gets time to cool off after it goes out the factory door these days

3. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Had a couple last year.

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Does the locking lip at the base of the hull look marginal or non existent?

6. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

The locking lip is very small, and I'm not sure of the date of manufacture.

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Dustoff,

Had 2 just like the picture last weekend, first time out of many flats.

8. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

All shells will do this occasionally. My boys and I have actually had more problems with Winchester loads. AA or Super-Targets. Didn't matter. We shoot whatever we can find, Gun Clubs, Noblesport, Federal Top Guns,etc.

Recently started getting Herters from Cabelas and out of a dozen flats, no problems so far. One kid shoots an !!)) Classic Trap and the other a Browning XS Special. Equal problems with shells in both guns.

I blame it on poor quality control in the factories due to the speed which shells are made.

9. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

I reload literally thousands of GC and other Rem hulls of that family. I have had no separations as you show. Maybe that means that if they survive the initial firing, all is well and they will stay together????

Larry

10. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I was shooting with a guy a few months ago who had the same problem with new GCs. I didn't have any, I reload the GCs 6-8 times and have never had a problem with the seperation.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had it happen with a reloaded Gun Club. It was the first reload on the hull and loaded on a Pacific 366 which suports the hull while the primer is inserted. I thought it was a fluke thing. Then my son had it happen with a brand new Factory loaded Gun Club. I still buy Gun Clubs occasionally but I don't reload them and shoot only break opens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've had it happen twice with new factory Gun Clubs. Never with thousands of STS or Gun Club reloads. They were shot out of a Beretta Auto during Sporting Clays. Never out of a break open gun.

13. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

I agree, this has always been a great hull to reload. Makes me wonder if Remington has made some recent changes that may have caused this problem.

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My experience has been the same as BigBadBob, more separations with WW but an occasional one with any brand. I do reload GCs & STSs + Fed. papers when I can get them.

Considering the sheer number of shells shot every day-week-year I think they all do a pretty good job, even WW. I do a fair amount of playing scorekeeper & see many different brands, what I see the most of in bad shells is light strikes on the primer & these are usually in the bottom bbl or unsingles. NOT to condone poor QC but wish my average in life in general was as good as the ammo. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.