1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Starfish, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Starfish

Starfish Member

Do Remington Gun Club shells load the same as STS shells? Just getting back to shooting and reloading. Thanks.

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

Rick in MT

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Tapered case = all the same.

Downrange versalite wad is used for most tapered shells!

I load STS, Nitro, gun clubs all the same with no issues.

5. Starfish

Starfish Member

Thanks for the replies.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

My shooting buddy gets more reloads with his Gun Clubs than I do with my STS's Same components except the hull.

Wayne

7. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Everything is the same, and IMO last just as long, and look just as good, except for the shiny finish on STS's. Only difference is the steel base makes it a little harder on the arm to pull the handle when loading.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The only big dif. is that they have steel heads. The best of the cheap hulls. Compression formed one piece.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My buddy and I did a test with a Remington Game Load hull one time (the black Gun Club). We were past the 20th reload when one petal folded over (he would load the shell, hand it to me, I would fire it out of an 1100, and it would eject back to him), would have kept going but it was time for dinner.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

skeet man,

I've got some of those black Remington Game load hulls. They are 6-point crimp. Did you use a 6-pt crimp starter or can I just use my normal 8-pt or my smooth? I've been wanting to load 'em up but I don't have a 6-pt starter for my 366.

11. ring3

ring3 Member

Gun Club hulls are my favorite for reloading. On my press all current Rem hulls load fine with the same components/press adjustments. In my experience STS/Nitros develop holes and splits a bit quicker than the Gun Clubs.

One caution on the Gun Clubs, don't resize them too much as it my understanding the steel bases can over stress loader collets.

Rob Ingram

12. jimmyrig

jimmyrig TS Member

A little off topic but I recently picked up a ton of the Gun Clubs at Dicks Sporting Goods. I have had several separate from the hull in my pouch (empties). 1 would not fire (bad primer maybe or to deeply seated) one separated in the receiver. I was going to hang onto them for reloading purposes, nut now I am not so sure. For the record it may be the shell catcher on my 303 that is causing the issue with separation.

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They were 8pt hulls, and we used an 8pt start crimp. You can use a 8 on a 6, but it comes out kinda weird. Hornady crimp starters aren't all that expensive though.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks skeet man. I'll have to double check my hulls. Maybe I am mistaken on the crimp point.

15. FWP

FWP Member

The black Remington "Game Loads" are 6 point crimps. The black target hulls are 8 point crimps.

BTW like others have said I find the Gun Clubs hulls are holding up better than the STS.

16. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ive got some Gun club hulls that are on the 10th loading and they are just starting to crack on the ends.

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I load gun club the same a STS and Nitro. I like the Gun Clubs the best. They are the easiest to find and last a long time.

18. locdoc

locdoc Member

grntitan & skeetman,

FYI I use the smooth cone crimp starter for all my hulls whether they be 6, 8 or paper. Don't need to change back and forth.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The smooth "cone" type works well for me. If they were shot in your gun they may not even need resizing. Ross Puls

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I like my reloads to look as pretty as factories so I seldom load them more 3-4 times before tossing them.

At "free" to 2 cents apiece, Gun Clubs are a bargain and surely as functional as an STS. I can't pick up once-fired STS/Nitros off the ground anymore and they aren't worth a nickel apiece to me.

I still scavenge all the GC's I can because the supply won't last forever. But, while the GC's are surely just as functional as STS, I don't find them "just as good," primarily because of the variability in length. They vary just enough that, if 80% of them crimp perfectly, 10% will have a tiny hole in the center and 10% will swirl. I gave up chasing my tail trying to find the one perfect crimp setting and sort my loaded rounds into "comp" and "practice" lots. My little pea brain won't even let me load a shell of a different color mid-round, much less one with an imperfect crimp.

Search tags for this page
are remington gun club shells as good as nitros
gun club swirl crimp
loading with gun clubshells
remington game load hull

remington gun club shells forums

remington trap shells
variations on crimps on gun club hulls
what do remington sts look like