1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wolf172, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

I was wondering if the Rem. Gun Glub shells are any good as far as cheap shells go? BPS is putting them on sale next week for $4.97 a box and I was thinking of getting 12 or 15 flats if they are decent shells. I have only shot Estates and Fed. Top Guns and both of them work alright but have never shot any Gun Clubs.

David

2. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Gun clubs are a great shell. I have shot thousands of them and they break targets with regularity. Never a problem and the hulls reload very well.

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

Gun clubs go for 60 a flat so 50 is a good deal. And the hulls are very popular to reload

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Tucson Trap & Skeet use the Remington Gun Club for there base ammo. I think it sells well and with few complaints.
    I have enjoyed shooting this ammo. 12 & 20.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

They are great shells and I shoot a lot of them (20 GA). Only complaint is they leave lots of soot in the barrels. Nothing Ed's Red can't handle.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The best of the steel based cheapies. Made is the USA.

7. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Where is BPS? At $50.00 a flat I would like to get some.

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Good shell, and I get a lot of reloads out of the hull.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to compare Gun Clubs with Federal Top Gun and while I can reload the Gun Clubs I believe the lead shot in them is much softer than either Federal or Winchester Super Targets. I would not use Gun Clubs for Handicap but they are OK for Singles and Doubles.

10. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks to all for the replies. To 687SP....BPS is Bass Pro Shop and their flyer I got in the mail today advertises a sale from 8/3 thru 8/19. Have been saving for a sale like this for a while and think I will stock up on some. Thanks again.

EDIT: I live in North Texas and the flyer I got says its 54 stores. Would imagine they are not all in Texas tho.

David

11. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Thanks Wolf172. I just figured out what BPS was as I saw your reply. I am in TN, will mark my calendar for this sale. Hope they have a good shipping discount. I would have a 3 hour drive each way.

12. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Good luck with the sale and get there EARLY. In my experience, BPS does not stock a great quantity of the Gun Clubs.

Charlie

13. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I tried buying one flat of shells from Bass Pro in Des Moines Iowa about 3 years ago and they told me it was "against store policy" to sell shells by the case. They didnt even have the flats on the shelf. Just telling you guys this as you may want to check with them before driving 3 hours to possibly have a quantity limit or have to carry 100 plus individual boxes out of the store.

Ryan

14. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have never seen BPS have any gun clubs for sale, just an empty shelf space, or just one box of shells for that stated price

If I buy any "flats" it is at at "Dunhams Sporting Goods" they match it an sell them to me on the spot, after calling in the manager of the store, as soon as they check the ad.

BPS will not honor the ad on a rain check nor has stock on hand.

I believe, on my part, it is a market play to underhand a decent,reputable store, and to disrupt the value of said store.

Kenny U

15. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Take the sales flyer to Dick's. They will match the price and will sell you as many flats as you wish.

16. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Yup, what lwr said, some other store will match them, but Bass Pro will not have the stock or honor it with a rain check.

It is sad but that is the business model for BPS.

I would not piss on BPS if it was on fire, unless there were people in it.

Kenny U

17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Aside from negative opinions about BPS (which I rather agree with), I have shot Rem GC's for years in 20 and 12 ga and have found that they are probably the best of the cheap shells, they are still cheap shells and not as good (in my opinion) as when they were first issued.

My primary issue with them is the primers which are NOT Rem 209 primers. I, and others I have known, have run into issues with some FTF's and having your firing pin penetrate the primer cup (you will see little round black dot on the primer after shooting).

The FTS's are not bad considering the price of the hull...that is, I don't get too many. But my recent experience with puncturing the primer cup concerns me as K80 firing pins are expensive.

Might just be the latest batch I bought (I buy flats a bit in bulk), but that's my only concern with this shell.

Cheers

18. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I feel that I have had that happen before. I called the local BPS a few minutes ago and asked them if I could by flats (he called it a case...imagine that) and he assured me that I could. I asked if they were going to have very much in stock and he said they had pallets of them. Gonna go try it since its only about an hour away.

19. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

+1 to -

- Gun Clubs being a fine shell for that price, but soft-ish shot
    - Hulls lasting forever
    - Bass Pro Sucks
    - They will have either very few or none of the product you want
    - They *may* write you a raincheck if you squeel loud enough...but then never get any in.
    -Dicks sucks too
    -Dicks will price match, but 90% of their stock will be in loose boxes

Mostly I won't purchase the ammo because of the Remington Rebate Debacle from last year and the way they handled it.

Wal Mart has low prices on the Winchester Universals every day, and I have been breaking some L--O--N--G Sporting targets with those shells lately. Top Guns are fine too.

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs are a great shell! The antimony in them is the same AS ANY OTHER lower priced taget shell! They work great for any clay target you can shoot at and load very well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.