1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington gun club shells.............problems????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I used to shoot gun clubs all the time a few years back and I always thought they were a good shell, when prices started climing a while back I shot mostly reloads, when I shot new shells they were the wally world winchesters and federals, and some times nitro 27's.

In the last 5 to 6 years, I have never had a fail to fire.

The gun clubs were on sale @ Dicks, so I bought 10 flats.

I shot at the Grundy county handicap yesterday, and out of 200 rounds, I had 2 fail to fires with these new shells.....I am not happy!!!

anybody else have this problem?? or is it just me??

I have 9 flats, 1 box and 23 shells left from this purchase, and everytime I fire, I'm going to wonder if it is going to be a fail to fire!!

should I contact Remington???

One more thing to distract while trying to shoot a serious round of trap!!

tony

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Over Labor Day I shot with a fellow that had bought new Gun Clubs, he had three shells where the bottom steel ejected leaving the plastic hull in the chamber. (90T) I also was shooting new Gun Clubs a week latter and had one that went poof instead of bang. These were the only times I had problems or seen problems with Gun Clubs but now I'm not as sure about them.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've had quite a few Gunclub bloopers (even happened in a zone shoot shoot-off) and I noticed that the primers were just barely dented. Upon closer examination, I noticed that where the primer seats, it was slightly concaved, not allowing the pin to completely strike.

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Shot with a guy yesterday that had two brand new Remington STS's out of a hundred that only slightly dented the primers. He was pissed.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I've had three faulures to fire on Remington Gun Clubs. In each instance, I sent back the offending shell to Remington at their Arkansas factory. Each time, they sent me a check for $9.00 to cover my costs. At the time, it paid for two new boxes.

Remington identified the misfires as problems with the primer anvil. They stood behing their product.

Best,
    Dennis

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I avoid them because I've had problems with miss-fires too. WalMart Federals have also given me the same problem.

Of course the lower barrels of my 3200's are very picky about the depth of the primer set due to the steep fireing pin angle.

None of the "economy" Rios, Estates, or WalMart Winchesters have ever caused a problem.

Guy Babin

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view┬Ąt=DSCN0068.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    i have had the same problems with the gun clubs. I sent three back to Remington and they sent me a check for 20 dollars. They said the problem was in the gun as there was only a small dent in the primer. Then I had three in one box that had the same problem. Total of about 8 bad ones. I sent them in--they paid the postage and sent me a pickup label to ship them. They said it was my gun. silver Seitz and 303 beretta. I decided to send the seitz back to Richie and have it checked. I send a fired shell and a bad Remington to Richie. Got the gun back and it still did it a few more times. During this time I shot 2500 AA's and Remington Nitro's and NO PROBLEM. I think Remington has a problem but remember that they can't admit anything because of liability. I still buy them and shoot them but I am always worried about the one bad one in a bunch with a good score. motordoctor.

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I shot a hundred of them yesterday in Medicine Hat and all 100 went off and all hundred broke the bird. I can safely say, I am happy with the gun clubs that I used yesterday.

Rickyd

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot thousands of the Remington Gun Club shells and never had a misfire or a dud shell ... The last shell I shot that was a dud was a AA Super Handicap (Silver Bullet) which is when I started shooting nothing but Remington ammunition ... I have had a few misfires with the Wally World Federals in the past but when I tried them a second time they fired on most occasions ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Through this past year at our club I`ve been handed a few of the Remington Gun Clubs that failed to fire and some did have slight dents in the primer due to recessed primers while others were hit very hard and still didn`t fire ? Others had bulges in them from improperly fitted wads which may be the reason for the bad sounding shells when they do fire . I don`t buy any manufactured shells so I haven`t had any F/T`s . I`m strictly a reloader without problems . I cut them apart and reuse the componnents except for the primers .

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I suspect most of the failures are gun problems. I've seen at a lot of Rem shells with very light primer hits and wonder how they ever avoid problems.

mototdoctor, How much does that primer hit vary from the ones that fired? That is just a love peck.

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I was shooting Doubles with a Gun Club for the first bird and a Winchester Super Target for the 2nd bird. Whenever I got a misfire with the Gun Club, I merely switched the shells and could shoot both targets. This tells me something about Gun Clubs.

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I just took another look at the 2 that f/f, they have very slight dimples like the picture above.....before too much complaining I'm going to take the stock off my Baretta 686 and clean the firing pin...

seems funny that there have been no problems in the past.

the primers are not recessed any farther than the rest of the shells or my reloads as far as that goes.

tony

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

the fired shells look just like everyone else's with a big dimple in the primer. I have had a bunch that look like the picture and some, if I put them back in the gun it will fire the shell.I have had other people hand me shells with the exact same problem. It is not the gun. The seitz gun fires almost anything and after 2000 plus Remington sts and aa's I am sure the problem is in the gun club shells. The company says no but I understand about company policy. What would happen if they said there is actually a problem. Can you imagine the recall that would be. I believe the primer insert is not seated in the primer cup and when the firing pin hits the center part it moves inward and then seats. when the firing pin hits it again it will go off. we'll wait and see how far this thread goes and see who else has problems motordoc

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had pretty much the same problem with gun clubs in my mx-15...
    blamed the shells for heavy primers..

took the action completely down for seasonal cleaning last night and found my lower firing pin spring was in two pieces......

I'll let you know if the problems solved....

Jim Chapman
    (the lesser)

Michigan

16. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

In the past year, I did have three Gun Club failures to fire; all three had good indents on the primers, so it wasn't my Browning. Three in one year isn't really too bad, though when I reloaded my own, I had ZERO poopers in four years. I buy Estates now.

LA

17. white rattler

white rattler Member

The only problem I have ever with the gun clubs is the fact that I can't find any to buy. I am looking for a flat of 1oz 8s. Trevor Dawe.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I had two misfires handed to me yesterday. Great shell except for the occasional misfire issue!!

19. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

Pendennis,can you give me that address for remington. I have been saving them since last year.I now have 14 shells that never went off. #3 of them where when i was running 100 straights.I love remington shells and have been still using them hoping they will correct the problem!

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

One of the guys bought about 20 flats. He started having F/F with light primer hits. He sent his Krieghoff for new springs and a "rework" - thinking that was the problem. Still had the problem after the gun had been gone over.

I reload the GC hulls (Chedite and Fiocchi primers) and they seem to work fine.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best price on remington gun club shells
remington gun club ammo review
remington gun club review
remington gun club shells
remington gun club shells for sale
remington gun club shells review
remington gun club target loads for sale

remington gun club target loads review