1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club shell---problem fixed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by motordoctor, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

The other thread was getting too long but REMINGTON FIXED THE PROBLEM. They said that the small part that covers the primer USED to be made of brass but they switched to brass-plated steel a few years back. The steel must have been too hard and would hot allow the firing pin to set off the primer properly. Well the finally they have realized there is a problem and they are correcting that problem. They are now switching back to brass for that part and will place the new shells into production shortly. Thanks to all that sent me information on this subject. Motordoc

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Thanks, Motordoc! Great news!

Best,
    Dennis

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...great...makes me wonder what to do with the 40 cases or so of GC's I have now :-(

4. AlanM

AlanM Member

Thanks MD, I guess I wasn't crazy as Remington told me, and it wasn't the Kgun.

Baron23 you can send the 40 cases to me to use for practice.

Alan

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

How about making the whole base of the hull from brass, instead of steel. No more stuck hulls or dented chambers.

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Very generous of you Alan...but I think I will just have to shoot them.

I was at Krieghoff a few weeks ago and chewing the fat with Don Baughman. Don was absolutely convinced that Rem GC's were responsible for the increased number of chipped/pitted firing pins that they had seen lately. He indicated that Rem denied having changed anything or done anything that could have to do with this...but lo, here we are and they used steel in the primer impact area. Ain't that nice.

I'll just have to shoot them off in a gun with cheap firing pins LOL

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Interesting. I always thought only nonferrous metals were used in primers.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Very interesting.

I recently had to replace the firing pin on my K-80 after less than 5,000 rounds. I guess if you buy cheap shells they should be shot in cheap guns.

I have decided to stop using Cheddite and Fiocchi primers in the K-80 as well.

I suspect there could be a problem with the K-80 firing pins that exasperates the effect; but if using Winchester primers will let me go 20k plus rounds before causing a problem I will go with the Winny's on reloads. Saving $.20 a box isn't worth it.

Don

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

mrskeet:

We use the round magnet on a stick tools to pick up hulls. Gun clubs and Estates being steel base pick up easily. when going after STS or AA hulls you have to go to the primer so the magnet has something to grab.

When I want to rmove a primer from the station in my 9000 I use a little pocket magnet tool to pull it out.

So I have to assume the outer housing of these primers is a ferrous metal.

HM

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Halfmile - I took a few fired primers completely part. Every piece stuck to a magnet.

I remember when Winchester changed their 209s to a blue box, and their primers to a silver color. Their press releases said they were doing that because the price of zinc had dropped relative to what metal (copper?) they were using before. Where's the zinc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.