1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club = Remington UMC?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Did the Remington Gunclub line of shells get replaced with the Remington UMC line of shells?

Or are they two different lines of cheapo and Remington now sells STS, Nitro, Gunclub, and UMC lines of shells? Two high quality, two cheapo.

We got talking about it at the Maryland shoot and everyone had a different answer. Some of the shooters were shooting the Remington UMC shells and I posed the question to my astute comrades.

The UMC line is definitely an import-cheddite hull-foreign primer type shell that can not be reloaded. I still see Gun Clubs at the Dick's though so we were wondering if there may be two lines of cheapo shells made by Remington now.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The UMC is apparently made by RIO. I won't shoot them. The hulls have shown some base wad displacement and I don't trust them. I have had many issues in colder weather with the RIOs also. I still see the Gun Clubs for sale and they still have the same old one-piece hull.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

UMC 45acp the only rounds my S&W performance center 1911 wont eat and spit?

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Gun Club's are supposedly no more ... discontinued ... no longer be made.

Remington saw a major loss in revenue when they began making and selling the cheap Gun Club loads. They were being sold for less and they were not making as high a profit on them as the STS and Nytro line of shells and were eating the profit margins down. Yes they were selling more but that did not offset the lower profit margins of the Gun Club shells.

With the newer UMC loads being made overseas they can import them and leave there factories here producing the more expensive and higher profit margin STS and Nytro lines of shells.

FYI ... from what I have seen/heard from others and from the couple of rounds I have shot of the UMC line of shells I wont be sourcing them as a cheap alternative to shooting. They had numerous problems cycling the actions of my 1100 and of friends 391's on the skeet range. Nope ... not worth the $42 a flat they are going for.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

So the Gun Clubs' in the Dicks and other sporting goods are just the end of the line.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

From what I have been lead to believe they are not being made anymore. Now I dont know how many might be sitting here or there in warehouses but Gun Clubs were supposedly cutting deeply into the profits of STS and Nytro's which were supposedly run on the same machines so why run low profit when you could run high profit product instead.

Take it for what its worth but as of a couple weeks ago one of the ranges who used to be able to get Gun Clubs had the UMC's instead and was told no more Gun Clubs.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

The UMC shells are not listed on Remingtons site, the Gun Clubs are. The local stores are not having a problem getting Gun Clubs so I don't know what the problem is in your area.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oletymer ... local stores as in who? If there supplier or if they are a chain store of some sort purchased a truckload or multiple truckloads for a super cheap price before a price increase or before they quit making them just how long do you think it will take to sell threw the inventory?

Now take this for what it is worth but when calling Remington and inquiring in regards to Gun Club they say that they are still avilable and when asked if they are still being produced the response was ... there is currently a big back order of them and there is supposed to be a monthly production schedule for them but they have not been produced in the last couple of months. So take it for what it is worth but the gentleman would not say "yay" or "nay" as to whether or not they are still actually being made.

He did tell me that production of the UMC shotshells are supposedly being made at the Lonoke plant but if I remember correctly the flats that I saw were not produced in the US ... oh well ... I'll have to look at the flat again next time I see it.

9. 24Flyers

24Flyers TS Member

UMC target loads were produced for a brief time in 2006, they were made in Spain by UEE(company that makes Rio, Kemen, Diana and others) if you would like to buy them, you can get them at C.A.C. in Ebensburg, PA at 814-472-4430 ask for Terry

Gun Club target loads are still being produced at Remington's Lonoke, AR factory. You can find them at various wholesalers across the country.

Recob Enterprises in WI 608-643-6424
    Gamaliel Shooting Supply in KY 270-457-2825
    C.A.C. in PA 814-472-4430
    Crow Shooting Supply in IA 641-522-5821

Thanks for the interest in Remington.

Shane Naylor
    Remington - Sales Manager - Gun Club Products

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

There you have it! Straight from the horses mouth.

Buz aka Mythbuster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

umc vs gun club load