1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club Base Separation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I posted this on another thread but decided to start my own thread so everyone might see it. With all the talk of gun blowups and hull problems i thought this might be interesting to some.

This happened to my son last year at Trap practice. It was a reload shot from his BT 99. When he pulled the spent shell the base came off. You can imagine what would happen had he not noticed and was able to load another in the gun. This was the 2nd reload on this hull. It was loaded and sized on my Pacific DL366 with 19gr Green Dot, W209 primer, DRF8 wad and 1 1/8oz of #8's. Not a heavy load by any means. We now look down the barrel after every shot. Certainly was an eye opener for us. I have never had this happen before or since then. Try just pulling the base off a Remington hull. I couldn't do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Where was the plastic tube? How could you load another shell in the gun? "whistlers" have been known about for decades. That's when a .410 tube goes zinging out of the barrel.

3. grntitan

Actually the tube was wedged in the chamber about an inch further down than normal. We had to use a wad knocker to get it out. The way this happened there would have been no way to load another. I simply meant had it lodged further down the barrel. The steel base will not just slide back on the hull tube. It appears the hull tube has swelled in that area or the steel base has shrunk.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Another good reason not to reload any "metal" base hulls if you ask me. If you have to use them, load them once and toss is generally what I have seen on TS.com. I don't "Think" you could load another live shell behing this one piece plastic tube, but what if you could??? Mike at least with the 410 bore whistlers, the plastic tube goes right out the end of the barrel. I had another one a week and half ago and it was the first one in like a year. The whole plastic tube filled with shot and wad went out the barrel. It seems that this is the only ga. that happens to. I've heard about the plastic casing getting stuck in the 12 and the 20, but not in the 28 yet!!! Be carefull out there. Break-em all. Jeff

OK Tim you got me!!! Steel base hulls. I even highlighted the "metal", Feel better now. LOL

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I had 4 in 28ga from a single flat of factory new STS ammo in 2005. 2 were whistlers, one was easy to bump out and was about 1/2 inch up in the chamber. The last one was wedged tight at the front of the forcing cone and required a hammer and 3/8 brass rod to drive it out. That one could have allowed another round to be chambered. Never had one in any other gauge or in a reload but I have found 2 Nitro 27 once fired hulls where the case had moved about 1/8" to 1/4" forward but still within the base while checking hulls just before reloading.

--- Chip King ---

6. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

I can only talk about from 1973 till the present, but in those few years, the only hulls that I can't remember coming apart like this was the Remington RXP's.

Vern

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Chip!!! I guess it happens in all gauges. Make you kind of wonder if I'll ever want to shoot a auto or pump shotgun again??? Can't look down those barrels while your shooting, unless you carry a mirror on a folding handle like a auto mech. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I shoot a pump (not for doubles) just blow in the ejection port & watch for the puff of smoke, got into this habit when there were no one pc. hulls, all were paper with separate base wad. Yes I know this habit annoys some people but I know my bbl. is clear. Ross Puls

9. grntitan

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"Another good reason not to reload any metal base hulls if you ask me."</i>

Ummm...Jeff...brass is a metal.

I think you meant steel.

BTW, I have been reloading Gun Club shells for years and have never had this happen.

11. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I also have been reloading gun clubs for quite a while. I have not had a problem. That being said, I look down the barrel of my Krieghoff or Ljutic after every shot as a precautionary exercise.

I find it interesting that I see a majority of shooters with break open's doing the same thing, even blowing the smoke out the end to see clearly. I have not asked any as to why they are doing so and only assumed that they are also being cautious regarding obstructions.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Unless the gun has relieved forcing cones and/or overbored barrel, the hull will stop in a position that would prevent another shell from chambering. I feel that barrels with relieved forcing cones are prone to accidents when using many times loaded hulls.

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

eightbore that is just not so. The separated hull could stop anywhere in the barrel or it may just exit the barrel. On the one new factory 28ga that wedged in my forcing cone (pure factory Rem 3200 barrel with NO mods) you could fully chamber another loaded shell.

--- Chip King ---

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Anything made on high speed equipment can come out in a less than perfect condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.