1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Gun Club 7/8 oz loads advice please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

What wad have you found that makes the best 7/8 oz Remington Gun Club load? How does your crimp look on the completed shell?

I have tried both the CB2100 and DRA121 wads and my completed shells all have an indention in them. In other words the ends are not flat like a factory shell. I use the same components on my 1 oz load and these turn out and look as good as a factory shell. I am using a Versa Mec single stage loader.

Thank you for your input

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You need the CB 0178, the Winchester 12L, or the Down Range XXL wads. I use any of those with 17 grains of 700X or Clays, Winchester or Cheddite Primers, and an honest 7/8 oz of pellets in STS hulls that load the same as yours. The above wads are designed for 7/8 oz loads.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

I'm using Clay Busters CB4100-12B... Works well with Gun Clubs and required no adjustments to the loader to give nice results - a little higher wad pressure indicated on the Mec due to the longer wad but no issues. Here's a link to the load data:
    http://www.claybusterwads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=3

4. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

I load STS and Nitros but Gun Clubs are just the same.

I use the WAA12SL (Pink) wad...there is plenty of data for it and 7/8oz loads. I like it better than the 12L (Gray). I just drop a spent primer in the wad before I place it, seat it, and the shot drops, and that takes up excess space and prevents a dished-in crimp.

I bought the Claybuster 12SL clone last time around, and I had to adjust the crimp station up an little to keep from dishing in. It seemed to me that the CB clone has more of a cup on the bottom of the wad than the real Win. 12SL, but I could be wrong.

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I've had great results loading 7/8 ounce with the Downrange XXL Pink wad and Alliant e3 powder into the GC hulls. If you go to the Alliant website, you will find lots of loads for 7/8 oz. Alliant says you can use the STS and Nitro hull data for the Gun Club hulls as well. ....Rick

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another vote for the down range XXL pink wad and CLAYS or 700X. Remington or Winchester pimers. Wonderful practice shells.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

green dusters also work well.

tony

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

linkerman

Using a wad intended for 7/8 oz loads is a good start. I would strongly suggest that you consult published data from reliable sources and choose a load that has reasonable pressures and uses an appropriate wad for 7/8 oz loads. The wads you have selected are too short for the load you are using. The WAA12L gray wad is a good one to start with. There would be less potential trouble than the XXL series from Downrange. I have had some issues when loading them. The Green Duster and the WAA12SL are still a 1oz wad and would probably result with the same concern you are trying to avoid. The Federral 12S0 wad is another choice that seems to work well. It IS a 1oz wad for a straight wallwed hull. It works fairly well with 7/8 oz loads in the STS and Win AA hulls.

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I agree with the Downrange XXL Pink wad as one of the best. I have also had success with the CB 4100 wad, but the 8 petals can sometines be a pain. Other wads will work (like Green Duster), but I'd have to make machine adjustments to get a proper crimp and I'd rather not be fiddling with the machine that works so well with my other loads. Another wad to consider is the new Clear Duster. I had a small sample and they seemed to give a nice, flat crimp with no adjustment. I plan to give them a more serious try in the near future.

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

i USE THE 12L GRAY WITH APPROX. 17 Grains Red Dot # 30 mec. it does as good as I will allow it to. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cb0178-12 load data 700x powder

using a cb0178-12 wad in remington gunclub hulls with 700x powder